We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prague, Czech...
Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

Hi! I am planning an 8-day holiday in Montreal and its surroundins. I am on a strict gluten, dairy and egg free diet. Do you have any suggestions, where to buy dietary food, what to try (typical for Canada, I am from central Europe) and what restaurants would cook suitable meals? Thank you!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
1. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

Nowadays, many of the larger groceries carry a few gluten free products (IGA downtown or Metro on the plateau). There are also specialized health food groceries which sell natural products, gluten free products etc...

-Couffin Bio on the corner of Sherbrooke and Ave du Parc. (might have changed names but its still there)

-Eden, Ave du Parc and Prince Arthur, inside the mini underground mall. Very nice store, and they make great custom sandwiches.

-Jean Talon Market has a few, in particular, Alfafa, in front of the marche des saveurs.

As for restaurants:

-Aux Vivres is one of my favorites. Inexpensive but popular vegan diner. Many items on their menu are explicetely identified as gluten free. Even my meat loving boyfriend likes this place:

http://www.auxvivres.com/en/menu/

-Chowhound, a foodie board i like to read, has a thread on this:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/519051

I see a mention of Pintxo. I haven't payed attention to the gluten free there, but it's a great restaurant!

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
2. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

You might find these threads useful :

tripadvisor.com/…33294862

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k42237…

tripadvisor.com/…27324665

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
3. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

I don't know the situation in the Czech Republic but you can find Lactaid in drugstores that will help for the dairy part. There is also lactose free milk available in supermarkets and some lactose free cheeses. Above mentioned Marché des Saveurs carries some as will Fromagerie Hamel in the same Jean-Talon Market.

Even with the help of Lactaid you should stay away from the Québécois blue collar special treat poutine (pronounced exactly like the Russian president) as the sauce is usually made with hydrolized plant proteins and if starch is the thickener it sometimes contains small amount of regular wheat flour. Plus the frying oil is generally all purpose so breaded food might heve been cooked in the same oil. The only French Fries in town that I would trust would be those from the Belgian style Frites Alors or the few places that actually uses duck fat as frying medium as they are upscale places doing very little frying beside potatoes.

There is a chain of vegetarian restaurants called Le Commensal that has many outlets around. It relies a lot on cheese and plant proteins but if you ask for specific g.d.e. free food preparations the employees will point to a few. Just be aware that this chain is buffet style but you actually pay per weight so, depending on your picks it can come as pretty cheap or somewhat more expensive. Also even if everything is reheated in vacuum packs some cross contaminations could happen once the offerings are put on the steam tables. I would certainly not try anything sitting side by side with seitan!

On the other hand if you are a meat lover then we have some good steak houses around. They are usually expensive but you could certainly go to L,Entrecôte Saint-Jean which is more French style with only one set menu. Fries will then be no problem, as will the salad and you can ask for your steak without sauce. Only dessert (profiteroles) will be a no no.

New Jersey
reviews: 30
4. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

There is an "allergy free" restaurant you may want to check out. It is called "Zero 8".

This is the website:

http://www.zero8.com/

Prague, Czech...
5. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

Thank you all very much for your advice! It is really helpful, I will feel much more confident after my arrival. Unfortunately, I am allergic to milk proteins, so Lactaid does not help and lactose-free products are out of question. Anyway, I will definitely try all the restaurants and shops you suggested!

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 243
6. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

Actually, egg will likely be the most difficult of the allergies to deal with. There are lots of gluten-free options and dairy-free isn't that difficult. But with our French roots, egg is likely the biggest problem. I assume it's chicken egg and you carry your epi-pen just in case. If you have a kitchen you will find duck eggs, goose eggs and quail eggs available at the Jean Talon market. Most supermarkets with a health food section will stock soy, rice, almond and coconut milk. Rachel Bery (at least the one on St-Laurent) stocks both coconut and almond milk yogurt.

Prague, Czech...
7. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

Whow, almond milk yogurt... I will definitely try it. Thanks a lot. And yes, you are right, eggs are usually the most difficult part when I travel abroad...

Boston...
8. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

You can check Gluten Free Hotels Guide for hotels in Montreal that serve gluten free food - www.glutenfreehotelsguide.com/city.php?id=68

9. Re: Gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 03, 2013