We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, New...
reviews: 8
Where should we stay?

Hi. I am going to be in Montreal for the weekend and my niece will be staying at my hotel with me and she is an Orthodox Jew. We will not be able to do the typical tourist thing on Saturday, but we will be able to walk and enjoy the city. I was wondering where would be the best place to stay so that we could enjoy walking around, people watching, maybe go to a pretty park. Would it be best to stay in Old Montreal or downtown or anywhere else? Any advice would be appreciated.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
reviews: 18
1. Re: Where should we stay?

A good hotel that I really liked the location of for walking about was Hotel Le Square Philips. Walking distance to the Old Port, to Chinatown and it is on a nice little square with places to sit.Lots of people watching possibilities from there.It is also near to all the stores on STe CAtherine, but I imagine that is less of interest to you.

Call and ask for a lower floor if she is a non elevator taker on the sabbath.They also serve a full breakfast that you can bring to your room if you wish.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
2. Re: Where should we stay?

Yes I agree with the suggestion of Le Square Philips but since she is an Orthodox Jew and you don't seems to be then will she accept to ride in the elevator if you push the buttons? What about restaurants, Welll you won't find any koshef places around but the Square Philips has kitchenettes wo you could go to a dollar store to buy paper plates, etc and cook with utensils that have been "kosherized". Anyways if no elevator ride is allowed then I would certainly check the siuation with the hotel stairs. Usually in hotels the upper floor doors are open access but often on the main floor you will start an alarm if trying to open that door.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
3. Re: Where should we stay?

You could also stay around the Plateau area. There are many lovely B&B or boutique hotels there. The main advantage to this is that there are more parks around for lovely walks then downtown.

4. Re: Where should we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 28, 2012