We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montreal restaurants in old banks

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
montreal restaurants in old banks

does anyone know of any restaurants in or near old montreal that are located in former banks? i went to an amazing restaurant abotu 5 years ago that i can't remember the name of and have been searching for ever since.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
1. Re: montreal restaurants in old banks

The most likely candidate would be Le XO Restaurant in Hotel Le Saint-Jacques but there has so many older buildings around that used to host banks that some other candidates might show up.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
2. Re: montreal restaurants in old banks

Hmm do you have more to go on? Type of restaurant, area (or how far it was to something else)?

There are many old banks and other types of buildings revamped into restaurants.

Off the top of my head is Benelux, a microbrewery that serves excellent beer and mediocre food. It hasn't been opened for more then 3-4 years i believe, so i wonder what was there before, was it a restaurant? Anyways, you can actually sit in the "safe" at the back, where you see the old re-inforced safe door.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 4
3. Re: montreal restaurants in old banks

The st James building was built for an insurance company and subsequently was occupied by securities dealer nesbitt Thompson, I dont believe it ever was a bank building.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
4. Re: montreal restaurants in old banks

Very difficult to say at first glance as the whole Saint-Jacques Street area was full of them. But do you have any idea of others yourself Platipus? I already cast off the Place d'Armes as it seems to also have been only offices. There is also some parts of the Intercontinental that were bank but there are no real restaurant there so...

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
5. Re: montreal restaurants in old banks

as you can see i haven't visited tripadvisor for a while. i have been to Le XO a few times but that is not the place i'm looking for. besides, as wonderful as XO is, you have to go and find food after eating there as the dishes are beautiful but miniscule!

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 4
6. Re: montreal restaurants in old banks

Last time I ate at xo the food was average an the wait staff below par for the type of establishment xo purports to be. You can eat better for for less $ and better service elsewhere.

7. Re: montreal restaurants in old banks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 02, 2013