We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse drawn carriage

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristow, Virginia
reviews: 1
Horse drawn carriage

Hello!

We are considering visiting Montreal in late August. I have heard about the horse drawn carriages there. We are a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 children under the age of 12). Can anyone please advise me on if the carriages will accomodate our entire family, or will we need to split into two carriages? Do you know the approximate cost/length of a ride?

Anything else I should know about the carriage rides? Thank you!

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 4
1. Re: Horse drawn carriage

1. Six is fine

2. Given it is prime tourist season, I doubt you will be able to negotiate a discount. I guess it would be around 60$ per hour.

3. Drivers purport to be tourist guides bit their knowledge is quite uneven. I have hear them say inaccurate things about the city's history.

4. There can be a stench on a hot day.

5. Please have pity on the poor horses.

6. There are a lot of other things to do in the old port and surrounding for kids you should be able to find plenty of activities. Very safe city.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 32
2. Re: Horse drawn carriage

From the official Old Montreal tourism website:

vieux.montreal.qc.ca/infos/eng/info_toura.htm

-----------------------------------

By calèche

Calèche (horse-drawn carriage) tours lasting 30 minutes

($48, taxes included) or 60 minutes ($80, taxes included)

are available. a calèche can accommodate from 3 to 5 people.

-----------------------------------

However, since your children are young and don't take up much place, i am sure they will allow you to sit 6 people. There is certainly enough room!

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 225
3. Re: Horse drawn carriage

A caleche or fiacre should hold 6, uncomfortably. And Platipus is right, they purport to know the history of Montreal, but likely can't tell you the difference between the New York Life building and the Aldred building. Never mind why the roof of the La Presse building is famous.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
4. Re: Horse drawn carriage

I have seen six people before. Carriages are not all the same size. More expensive than thought!

Bristow, Virginia
reviews: 1
5. Re: Horse drawn carriage

Thank you very much! Good to know about the accuracy of the drivers knowledge of Montreal! :)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
6. Re: Horse drawn carriage

If you want to test their knowledge of Old Montréal, check out the training they're given: vieux.montreal.qc.ca/cochers/eng/cochersa.htm (if you surf around that site, you'll also find a great self-guided walking tour which is also available for purchase in a handy booklet format from the tourist information centre in Old Montreal; the site also has a pretty good inventory of the different buildings around, so you can look up the New York Life building, for example, and out that the first was the first skyscraper in Montréal and is clad in Scottish redstone that was used as ballast for ships coming over here to pick up furs. But the Aldred building is my favourite.)

7. Re: Horse drawn carriage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, April 29, 2012
Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
8. Re: Horse drawn carriage

We should give all the horses to DNA restaurant. They do an excellent tartare.

9. Re: Horse drawn carriage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, April 29, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 32
10. Re: Horse drawn carriage

Id eat the tartare.