We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

via rail

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 6
via rail

I'm taking the train from Toronto to Montreal, and have already purchased the tickets.

Anybody know if they are really strict with the Baggage??

My ticket says: "Baggage: Two pieces of carry-on only, not exceeding 23 kg (50 lb.) each, nor

66 x 46 x 23 cm and checked baggage service is not offered."

Thanks

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 39
1. Re: via rail

Are you sure they don't offer checked baggage? Arrive at the station early and go to the check in. Though I haven't taken the train to Toronto, I know they have it in Montreal, Quebec City, and at much smaller stations I've been to. Maybe you have some sort of restrictive ticket due to the price or seat you got?

As for bringing bags on board, there is lot of room in the seat area to store bags. There is also a baggage storage area on every car. How many bags will you have?

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
2. Re: via rail

Hi Indio10,

This Question has come up previously... I refer you to the last time here in the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM = tripadvisor.ca/…22905421

And if you click back thru that topic to the one in the TORONTO TRAVEL FORUM you'll find info that I provided to a Traveller regarding baggage size (metric conversion to inches) as well as comments by other Travellers and their experiences with this "so called" restriction.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
3. Re: via rail

I understand from your other posts that there are six of you? Will you have more than 12 pieces of baggage? (That limit is per person/ticket.) If you are able to fly to Canada with your baggage without paying for excess, I doubt you will have any trouble getting on the train with it (the airlines are much stricter).

Florida
4. Re: via rail

Each of us has only one piece, however, they are probably bigger than measurements posted by viarail. Thanks!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
5. Re: via rail

Wine-4-2, let me make sure I got this right unless I am missing something because I did read your posts. There is no checked luggage in Toronto? That just seems strange.

Thanks

JDP

Florida
6. Re: via rail

It depends on the train. Some trains let you check baggage, others don't. That's what I read.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
7. Re: via rail

Yes i believe indio is right, some do and some dont. It's likely in relation to how long the trip is (and by consequence, the type of train).

I don't know how strict they are, perhaps phoning them to ask?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
8. Re: via rail

Well thank you for the clarification. It just sounded odd to me. I know everytime we take the train to Quebec City from Montreal I can check in luggage, and vis a versa, and that's a shorter trip. Next year I've thought about taking the train from Montreal to Toronto, and back, but will make sure I can get a train where luggage can be checked. It is just so much easier.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
9. Re: via rail

TO JDP112456,

It is my understanding that there are two different types of trains running on the Windsor thru Quebec City Corridor (be the destination Windsor - NF - TO - Ottawa - Montreal or QC)... and like INDIO10 said it depends on the train.

In all my years my luck has never had it that I've been on one of the Trains with actually checked baggage in a baggage car (understand that is what you are familiar with on the Montreal to QC run). Lucky for you, because it seems from what I've read that run has the newest trains. We always have to lug it along with us into the car, be that Coach or Via 1... and they have a corded off area at one end of the car along with some shelving where you put your bags. Carry on (in the usual sense of a small item or two) such as an overnight, knapsack, briefcase or laptop bag you can take to your seat and stow above in the bins.

Think that this is part of the reason there is a "size restriction" in the first place, they are hoping that folks won't bring a ton of stuff with them on these routes... altough if you click thru to the TORONTO FORUM TOPIC I referenced you'll see that no-one ever has been hassled even when toting big things like a ski bag or hockey bag... only one that seems to attract attention has bee a bike (and now Via is offering special trains that are designated bike friendly routes in the summertime... understand they have a baggage car).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: via rail

If you use www.viarail.ca to make a Toronto-Montreal booking, you'll see about half the trains are listed as offering "checked baggage service" (trains 52, 60, and 66) and half are not (trains 56, 64, and 68).