We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

youth hostel

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 6
youth hostel

After all, I'm thinking about staying at the hostel with my family for 2 days in late december. Is the location OK??

I'm going there for the price and also for my kids to get the hostel experience, any comment on the hostel???

Thanks!!!

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 4
1. Re: youth hostel

see hostelworld.com and you will have good information and comments from traveler. I used that site for cheap hotel in Egypt and was satisfied no surprise when I got there

but I don't know anything about the ones in Montreal good luck

how old are your children

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
2. Re: youth hostel

Hi Indio10,

LOL, ok ya lost me...

Your last post entitled "Accommodation Dec 29" = tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k324488…

Gives us no hint of your hostelling... unless you are referring to the suggestion which TRISTOU made for the location that was previously a Student Residence and is now a HOTEL.

Or, is it a case of the fact that you've given up the search for Hotels entirely and are now investigating Hostels.

Which brings up another issue... there are several Youth Hostels in Montreal and at various locations, so replying to this Question is a bit disjointed.

I personally have stayed at the HI-Montreal (1030 Mackay) with a Youth Group and Adult Chaperones... we had sort of "wing" in the building so we weren't too worried about the kids wandering (remember the bathrooms are shared). Infact I am not sure what their policy is in regards to ages of those who stay with them... you will need to check.

Accommodations were very basic, they had rooms that were singles, doubles and also some that had 2 sets of bunk beds as I recall (not sure if will find a room that will accommodate all 6 of you).

In the basement was a shared kitchen area (you can put your food in the fridge) and a lounge area (Tv) and a bistro that was open early in the AM for Breakfast (if you wish to purchase) and again at the end of the afternoon for sort of a Happy Hour.

As far as location, it is in a safe neighbourhood, and fairly close to The Bell Centre (where the Montreal Canadiens play). It will be a good 10 minute or so walk from the Hostel to Peel Street, and about 15 in total to St Catherines. The good news is there is a metro station just a couple of blocks away, so you can use that to get to things like Old Montreal, or to see other sites in the city... and of course it will also give you access to the Underground City (great if the weather in bad).

hostellingmontreal.com/en/…

You'll also find REVIEWS for Hostels here on TA, they are in the section labeled as MONTREAL HOTELS (click on the button with that name to the left of this screen... and then on the tab marked SPECIALTY LODGING).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Florida
3. Re: youth hostel

Thanks for your reply, it really helps.

I gave up on hotels because it is too expensive for my budget.

I'm trying for 2 rooms with private bath, which is not that bad.

You mentioned safe neighborhood and close to metro station, it's good enough for me. I guess I would have to put up with the noise for 2 days. Anyways, I have 3 kids!!!

Thanks again for your reply!

Ottawa, Canada
4. Re: youth hostel

Hi Indio10,

Just so you know we use the term "Safe Neighbourhood" here on the CANADA TRAVEL FORUMS to reassure Travellers that they have made a good choice for location... but in fact, when it comes to Canadian Cities by US Standards all our neighbourhoods are quite safe... our urban issues are more social (like homelessness) than criminal.

The HI-Montreal Hostel is not far from the Business area, close to Concordia University and a more residential area than the skyscrapers just a couple of blocks to the east.

Canadian cities are laid out in a different fashion than our US counterparts... you will find that essentially people from all economic situations will live side-by-each. Our social housing in integrated into areas that are also where our middle class and rich families live... and where other cities might have issues say with things like areas dedicated to things like strip clubs, in Canada they are pretty much integrated into a community, either invisibily (little or no signage such as here in Ottawa) or along with other retail (which is how Montreal does it). The only way you'll really figure that out though is if you "look up" when walking down St Catherine Street... in many spots the 2nd floor of stores is home to Strip & Sex Clubs and although the liberal laws and social patterns of Quebecois Culture welcome these places, they really don't pose a problem for the rest of us... Quebec has a very-live-and-let-live culture when it comes to social morals (afterall it was Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau who said... "There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation").

And so it goes...

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Florida
5. Re: youth hostel

Wine-4-2

I study sociology, you have no idea how interesting I found everything you said. Thanks!!!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
6. Re: youth hostel

I am jealous now that I did not get in this exchange earlier. Wine4-2 spoiled half the fun! Anyway you can get a master thesis just reading all those columns here! Actually a doctorate thesis if you would get mote feedback from Wine4-2 and myself! Did you know that in the 40 and 50's the Pentagon envisioned to put Montreal on their black list because it had almost legal bordellos? That the province of Qc is still the only place in all of North-America to allow drinking at 18, we still think that if they can vote they can drink! But, on the other hand, we are still totally aghast by the fact that american teenagers in colleges will organise drinking junkets to Mtl!

I wrote that at lenght on another query where the originators were from Detroit, but to summarize it, I had lived in Windsor Ont for some months, just across the river from Detroit, and one night, in Detroit I missed the cue that I was to meet some friends at 7 Miles Road and instead get off the bus at 6 Miles rd and, realizing my mistake I decided to walk the remaining mile. My friends were just aghast that I had not been killed al least 3 times during my little "marche de santé"! My Canadian/Québécois/Montréalais innocence!

So just to tell you not to worry about safety, that is in responsible parameters but just do like the locals and go with the flow.

P.S. Having lived in South Florida I can tell you that, except may be in Toronto and it would be just a status symbol, a gated community is something totally foreign for us...

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 87
7. Re: youth hostel

Hi Rick - just a small correction... the legal drinking age in Alberta is also 18. ;-)

Ottawa, Canada
8. Re: youth hostel

Hi Indio10,

<< ... almost legal Bordellos. >>

Most folks don't know (or don't want to know) what goes on OPENLY and Legally in the Montreal Sex Industry... part of the reason we attract all those US College Students... who have heard rumours and want to come see for themselves. Outside of a Bordello in Nevada, I don't think one can get as much action (and in many cases the "acts" are not behind closed doors one-on-one but part of "the show").

These visiting students are a bit of a pet-peeve of RICKB and myself because their interest is Drinking and Sex (and they don't seem too interested in anything else that Montreal has to offer). And sadly, none to often they go overboard on one or both, and have ended up in trouble.

We've had more than one post here in the MONTREAL FORUM where such a Traveller (or their Father, lol) has come back to complain about their getting into trouble with either the Police (arrest) or the Border (expulsion)... and being "a Foreigner" TROUBLE can quickly become a big word... with capital letters! (When your passport suddenly becomes "Persona non gratis")

It is a bit funny for us to watch, because when you grow up with this all pretty much open and known, it just doesn't seem to be a big of a deal.

As someone with an interest in Sociology, I think you'd get a real kick out of learning more about the differences between American and Canadian / Quebecois Cultures.

As RICKB said you can read thru the various topics in the various QUEBEC TRAVEL FORUM and learn a lot.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
reviews: 37
9. Re: youth hostel

About the original topic. Hi-Hostel is a good recommendations, so is hostelworld.com for reviews on hostels. I heard good comments about Hihostel but have not stayed there myself.

I am surprised that you gave up so easily on finding a hotel. Have you tried looking at priceline.com like suggested? I spent litterally 10 min and found many hotel chains within your price range. As locals, some of us don't frequent hotels, so if you are looking for a exact name and review the forum isn't the #1 source for that.

On a side note: "part of the reason we attract all those US College Students... who have heard rumours and want to come see for themselves"

While i agree with most things you stated Wine 4-2, i can ASSURE you, that statement is far from the truth. We are not famous for our sex trade, and college students really don't come here for that. End of the line, they come here to drink if they are not 21, for the price, or because they come from a smaller town and montreal is just across the border.

Florida
10. Re: youth hostel

I did checked on hotwire and priceline but... it only does the search for 2 people p/room and it's not good in my situation, because I would en up with 3 rooms and this will be more expensive. I'm still searching....

Thanks!!!