We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from albany

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio
reviews: 1
driving from albany

we will be driving from albany to montreal this week. which highway will we need to take from the albany airport? also, we are planning on spending one night near the border. i have heard about plattsburgh and watertown. any recommendations?

reviews: 148
1. Re: driving from albany

In Watertown, I like the Days Inn (unlike a Jun 05 reviewer). I've stayed in the Watertown Ramada a few years ago - but would never return there. Wrote a letter of complaint, but it wasn't properly answered.

New York City, New...
reviews: 4
2. Re: driving from albany

You want interstate 87 north all the way to the border, you will see signs from the airport. From the border at Champlain, NY just follow the same highway all the way to Montreal, it changes its name in Canada to autoroute 15 I believe. From Albany, montreal is about 3 hours. Watertown is way out of the way from Albany to Montreal.... Plattsburgh is on the way, you drive through the city when you are on 87 north to montreal, but Plattsburgh is only 1 hour from montreal, it would be better just ot keep on driving and go straight to montreal that get a room in Plattsburg.....

San Antonio
reviews: 1
3. Re: driving from albany

thanks to both posters for the information. I plan on spending the night in plattsburgh because we don't land in albany til 4pm (after flying all day), it will be 5pm by the time we get our luggage and rental car, and who knows how long the border crossing will take. i'd rather not drive into a new city at night; therefore, we'll spend the night on the road and drive into montreal early the next day. thank you again for telling me about plattsburgh over watertown.