We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tours from Quebec and/or public transport

Which Quebec hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ljubljana, Slovenia
reviews: 3
Day tours from Quebec and/or public transport

Hello,

I would appreciate some suggestions for the Quebec part of my East Canada itinerary.

As I will be travelling by public transport (I think there's no point in renting a car for one person only), I am having difficulties deciding on the best options and feel stuck.

From Quebec, I am continuing on the Ocean train to Moncton or Halifax (still to decide on exact route), so I am bound on the specific days, which leaves with a dilemma: to spend 5 days in Quebec or two? I was browsing the internet for any day tours from Quebec, but the offer seems quite limited, and the same goes for public buses to towns in the Lawrence River Bay (just one or two round trips at funny hours, hence making such excursions illogical). So I am wondering whether 5 full days aren't too much? Would two days and a maybe half do Quebec the justice?

I will be arriving to Quebec from Montreal, where I was thinking of staying three nights/two full days.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to any ideas!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
1. Re: Day tours from Quebec and/or public transport

There are two organized tours from Québec, either a day tour for whale sightseeing in Tadoussac that runs through the beautiful Charlevoix area. Still better the Train de Charlevoix will bring you in the heart of that area through the beautiful tracks near the Saint-Lawrence, but not as far as Tadoussac. Train de Charlevoix is pretty expensive as it tout itself as a «gastronomic rail cruise», of course that means that some meals will be included, you might also be able to get a package with a night at the La Ferme Hotel near Baie-Saint-Paul or at the Fairmont Manoir Richelieu near La Malbaie. Also be aware that this train doesn't leave from the Gare du Palais near the old town but in a small station near the Montmorency Falls so one more expense for you.

Oh ant that is reminding me to make you aware that the Ocean train is not stopping at Gare du Palais but in Charny, on the south shore. There is a shuttle bus departing from Gare du Palais.

Another suggestion would be to take the regular bus to Baie Saint-Paul in the morning and then return the same day in late afternoon. 6 hours will be plenty to just soak in the atmosphere around and most of the trip is beautiful.

Also the same company that does the whale watching trip to Tadoussac(Tours Vieux Québec) is aldo doing a country tour that includes above mentioned Montmorency Falls and nearby Ile d'Orléans.

But even then I would shave one or two days in Qc and add one in Mtl.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
2. Re: Day tours from Quebec and/or public transport

rickb,

Thanks so much for the speedy reply!

Yes, I found the two tours you mention. The gastronomic rail tour does sound a bit too much, interesting though. The Falls sound really nice, and the whales of course.

But without the tours (I plan go whale watching in the Bay of Fundy), do you think two and something days for Quebec are enough? But I am still considering the 4-Montreal, 4-Quebec option.

Thank you again rick, each local info counts double, as all the guide books state the same while one has to have in mind the actual dates ... :)

Anyone else an idea?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
3. Re: Day tours from Quebec and/or public transport

Well I would stay in Mtl one more day and take that day to visit Ottawa, our nations' capital. It is only 2 hours away and there are bus departures every hour on the hour all day long from early morning to late evening. That would cost you way less than the Train de Charlevoix!

As per whale watching you will be much more lucky in the Saint-Lawrence and Saguenay rivers confluence than in the Bay of Fundy. One cruise company offers guarenteed whales or you are reimbursed, probably not something that the charters in the Bay of Fundy will dare to do.

But for that you will have to travel to Tadoussac by the regular bus as I doubt that the tour from Qc can guarantee that.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
4. Re: Day tours from Quebec and/or public transport

Thanks for the excellent whale-watching tip regarding luck of actual whale sighting. Hm, must take into consideration.

Ottawa does come up in my schedule later: my idea briefly:

(first time in Canada obviously) flying to Montreal, continuing to Quebec City, then Ocean train, either to go to NS through NB (Moncton and Saint John, ferry to Digby), although I am falling less attracted to this route at the moment, or straight to Halifax and then Digby (although there and back), to fly from Halifax to Ottawa, then Kingston (to visit 1000 islands) and finally arriving in Toronto, where I will be attending a conference (initinal cause for travel:) and thus have some time to go around.

I know it sounds a lot (and it is), but I, optimistically maybe, think I could make the time for all that.

Greetings in the middle of the night here and till tomorrow ...

5. Re: Day tours from Quebec and/or public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 18, 2014