We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Quebec City

Boston...
Parking in Quebec City

Hi,

I'm staying at the Manoir des remparts in Quebec City for 1 night in june (3 1/2 Rue Des Remparts, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 3R4).

I was planning on picking up a car in Montreal and then driving down to QC (especially since I think I might want to do a day trip to the Montmorency falls or Ille d'orleans).

Can someone suggest good parking spots near that area? Am I better off parking some distance away from the old city and just walking to the hotel (since I don't have too much luggage) and it might be difficult to drive through the old city with a lot of tourist walking the streets?

Any other suggestions? Should I just take the bus and skip the side trips?

Thank you.

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
1. Re: Parking in Quebec City

Your parking choices are not too many in that area, but there are some. Upper Town: there is an indoor parking lot across the street from Hôtel-Dieu de Québec (oldest hospital north of Mexico) on Côte du Palais St, and depending where 3½ is on Rue des Remparts, either park at Marché du Vieux-Port (Old Port Farmer Market) or across the street from the Musée de la Civilisation / Museum of Civilization, both in Lower Town.

Driving in Old Quebec is not really hard because of the gazillion tourists, it's simoly challenging when you do not know your way around, and must drive in narrow streets, some of them being unexpected 1-way streets. The Old Town is compact, really.

You may come by bus, and go to Chutes Montmorency either by city bus, or on a cruise. You'd have to skip Île d'Orléans / Island, and the many other opportunities of daytrips near Québec (have you investigated the following Inside Page: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s407/Quebec-C… ?

You could also combine the best of the 2 ways of transportation: buy a bus return ticket (so practical: no driving along the boring highways in between the 2 cities... - no $50 or more for gas - departure every hour from both downtowns, and the Gare du Palais bus/train station in Qc is not far from Rue des Remparts), AND rent a car for 24 hours once in Qc City, and make the best out of it. For this to be worth it, you'd have to consider almost 48 hours so you could visit and enjoy the city on foot, and treat yourself with a well filled up day trip on top of it. There is a Budget Rent-A-Car rental agency on Côte du Palais, right beside the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec.

2. Re: Parking in Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:26 am, September 02, 2009