We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Day in Charlottettown

Which Charlottetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 35
Canada Day in Charlottettown

Hello

The last day of our trip (we are 2 30-something couples) we are planning to spend in Charlottetown for Canada Day. We then fly out on the 2nd.

Are there many festivities going on that day? I saw Summerfest, but do they serve alcohol (since it's a Sunday?). I've tried googling this but I don't know if the Sunday liquor laws are in effect any longer.

Any recommendations on things to do/places to do for Canada Day?

Thank you

B.C. Canada
reviews: 16
1. Re: Canada Day in Charlottettown

Oh man, don't say you can't have liquor on Sunday because we'll be there over a weekend. Need my wine with dinner. LOL Last time I was on the Island there was no liquor ANYWHERE. Except in the stills of which there were several around where we had our cottage at Stanhope. But those were also the days you weren't allowed to have margarine either, just butter. We had friends in NB and NS who would bring margarine over any time they came and I got to mix the colouring in. Long time ago.

Dartmouth, Canada
reviews: 31
2. Re: Canada Day in Charlottettown

There has been Sunday shopping on PEI for over a year now, even most liquor stores are open on Sunday. Opening Sunday is a choice for most operations but I would think anyone who can be open will be on a Sunday in the summer. Now, the fact that it's Canada Day is a whole other matter. Many stores will be closed because it's Canada Day, liquor stores included.

Many pubs and restaurants will be open so you'll be able to enjoy a drink out on the deck if that's what you want to do, I can't recall if any bars are open that night, I don't think so.

Most communities have some sort of Canada Day activities planned, as you mentioned, Charlottetown has Summerfest which usually includes many activities along the waterfront and a big concert on the Saturday night. They don't seem to have the itinerary up yet but no worries, there will be plenty to do and plenty to drink, if you're buying your own, stock up on Saturday like the rest of us :-)

3. Re: Canada Day in Charlottettown

YOu will have no problem. There will be a huge party down on the waterfront with something for everyone. Most places will be open, including the LC.

Charlottetown...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Canada Day in Charlottettown

The PEI liquor stores will be open for their regular Sunday hours from 1 - 5 PM, except three: O'Leary, Tyne Valley and Alberton, which are not near Charlottetown.

I checked with several restaurant groups who own not only restaurants, but also bars in Charlottetown. They too will be open. You will have no problem finding things to do. Plus as previously mentioned, there are events at the waterfront.

Charlottetown...
5. Re: Canada Day in Charlottettown

Charlottetown Summerfest announced their lineup just last week!

Hey Rosetta, Wintersleep, Mardeen, Michael Bernard Fitzgerald, The Meds and The Town Heroes will be playing on June 29-30.

Canada Day activities kick off at 10am with Yoga on the Boardwalk with the official opening ceremonies taking place at 11:30am. There will also be a 10 hour live outdoor concert series followed by the much anticipated fireworks!

Check it out here: www.charlottetownsummerfest.com

Charlottetown...
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
reviews: 67
6. Re: Canada Day in Charlottettown

The be all kinds of action going on Canada Day for sure. As Landofanne said the liquor stores will be open as they have been for a number of years. Although year-round Sunday shopping is a little over a year old the practice has been in place for several more years. Originally there was Sunday shopping between Victoria Day until Christmas for several years prior to the eventual permanent basis it is now.

Xsenia: They have all sorts of stuff going on around the Charlottetown waterfront and around the city all day. As others have mentioned there is a concert series with beer tents. Restaurants will be open, your only issue will be getting into one as they will be packed. The hottest spot will most certainly be Peakes Quay. It is a restaurant that transforms into a bar at night and is located right in the marina where the fireworks show is. The deck will be packed probably from lunchtime all the way through the night. No shortage of activities on Canada Day for sure, Sunday or not.The only real restrictions on Sunday shopping is retail stores can't open until noon and there are some loopholes that restaurants can open even easier. You will have a fun time, hope you are not catching an early plane because people tend to get a little caught up in the atmosphere and have a few too many drinks :)

Edited: 5:35 pm, May 23, 2012
7. Re: Canada Day in Charlottettown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 am, June 19, 2013