We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is everything closed at the end of October?

Which Charlottetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 9
Is everything closed at the end of October?

Our ship arrives late October. I have read that everything closes up. Yes? No?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
1. Re: Is everything closed at the end of October?

What do you mean by "everything"? Some tourist attractions are closed already, however Charlottetown is a small city, and as such, has lots of facilities such as shops, restaurants and hotels that are open year round.

PEI National Park is open year-round, as are historic sites such as Province House -

pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/pe/provincehouse/index.aspx

Green Gables is open, but on reduced hours: pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/pe/greengables/index.aspx

California
reviews: 9
2. Re: Is everything closed at the end of October?

Ok thanks. I had read that by this time of the year, most stores & attractions close for the winter. I appreciate the information.

New Haven
reviews: 15
3. Re: Is everything closed at the end of October?

Hi,

Northern Watter's Knitwear will be open still and they actually make the sweaters on site so you can watch them at work. Also they have a lot of locally made crafts/artwork too. They're on Victoria Row which is just up from where the cruise ship docks, and the whole row is full of fun shops to browse through. Details Past & Present, Bayberry Lane, John Cox and Christine Trainor are fantastic artists and have their paintings in a studio down below with a potter named Michael Stanley ...and along with the Anne Shop there is also a Shop called Happy Glass which is beautiful.. simply beautiful.

There is also the Confederation Centre which has a beautiful art gallery to go through and also if you're a fan of Anne of Green Gables there's a replica of the Gables made out of sugar cubes by an artist from Japan. It is really amazing.

Also St Dunstan's Basilica is a beautiful church to visit with wonderful stained glass and a very serene place to visit.

If you do have a chance to explore the Island at all I would recommend Victoria By the Sea which is about 40 minutes outside of Charlottetown and just a wonderful little spot to wander through.

I know how important the cruise ships are to Charlottetown/PEI in general and it's been a thrill to have them so late into October - there have been more cruise ships arriving this year then ever before so I think there will still be a few places that will give you a good impression of Charlottetown. If you're looking for great seafood - the Water&Prince Corner Shop is the best of the best... visit them with an empty stomach!

I hope you enjoy your visit!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
4. Re: Is everything closed at the end of October?

Hi ChoirGirlCalifornia,

Welcome to the CHARLOTTETOWN TRAVEL FORUM.

As a Provincial Capital, Charlottetown will offer a good assortment of things to see and do year round... so no worries there.

What you probably “heard” was that in Canada our Prime Summer Tourist Season generally runs May thru to September or October. With the important transition dates being Victoria Day (3rd Monday in May) – Labour Day (1st Monday in September) – and Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October). Seasonal Tourist Attractions do tend to base their change of Seasons / Hours on these markers… So Summer Season ends on Labour Day, and Fall Season ends on Thanksgiving.

As already stated, there are definitely tourist attractions that are OPEN year-round and have Winter Hours.

As always best to check ahead so you know the schedule for each attraction you are interested in.

I hope that alleviates some of the confusion for you.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

5. Re: Is everything closed at the end of October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 07, 2011