We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

Which Charlottetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

We will be travelling to PEI in Sept and I was wondering if Charlottedown could be used as a base for accommodation and we could just do day trips out and about, around the island, or is it too big? Would we be better to book overnight accommation at different points along our tour route?

Thanks for the advice

Charottetown, PEI
reviews: 18
1. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

Charlottetown would be a wonderful base for day trips unless you are planning visits to the very outer reaches of the Island. On the other hand, a few days in Charlottetown and a few in Summerside or other point west would cut down on the driving.

Helen in PEI

reviews: 13
2. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

in one day, actually from noon to 7 pm, i drove from Charlottetown, went to the PEI provincial/national park, walked a beach, visited Green Gables, had a lobster dinner, and then drove off PEI to New Brunswick. PEI is small. Sort of like the size of Metro Toronto............like you could drive Pickering to Brampton and that would be like driving from one end of PEI to the other.

If i were you i would use charlottetown as a base

unless you wanted to have a beach at your footsteps.....and in September this probably won't be what you want

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
3. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

Thanks for the advice....Much appreciated :-)

Barrie Ontario
reviews: 28
4. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

Definately a great base spot. Very conveinent to day trips anywhere on the island. We also drove up to the National Park on the north shore ( Blue Heron route) and toured the towns and sights then had a great seafood lunch at New London seafood restaurant and returned on different route. So easy to navigate around the island.

Vancouver
reviews: 2
5. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

Could you visit some of the other Maritimes provinces in, say, a week to 10 days? Just wondering about PEI, parts of NS and NB. Too much to cover in that amount of time?

Charlottetown, PE
reviews: 44
6. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

Sure. You could do 4 or 5 days in PEI, then 4 or five in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. It is approx. a 3.5 hour drive from Charlottetown to Halifax, NS. 5 hours from PEI to Cape Breton. The Fundy shore of New Brunswick is only 2-3 hours away.

Vancouver
reviews: 2
7. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

Thank you, good to know.

Pacific Grove...
reviews: 51
8. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

This thread was really helpful to me too. Thank you!

9. Re: Can you use Charlottedown as a base and do day trips out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 26, 2009