We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

Which Prince Edward Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 4
I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

We are two couples planning to drive to PEI. We have never done this before. Who to contact for guidance of directions- Cities to visit on way - what to see and finally PEI. What areas to visit? We will have about two weeks time to take this trip. We intend going in June end

Please help

Ashok

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
1. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

Hi Ashok ~

The journey from Toronto to Halifax is just under 1800 km and takes about 20 hours, stops extra. If you drove like mad, you could get there at the very end of the second day. If you wanted to drive about 5 hours a day, to see things along the way, you could take 4 days, one way. You will need to decide how much time you want to spend behind the wheel each day.

Doing that drive would mean 6 days in NS, which would work quite well.

What kinds of things do you like to see and do when you visit a new place? It would help if you posted tha information. In the left sidebar you will find "things to do." You might look through those to see what appeals to you. That would be one way to figure out what areas to visit. You could also do this for the New Brunswick Forum and the Quebec Forum. You might also find a travel book for this part of Canada which be helpful.

While you are waiting for more replies, you could look at the suggested itineraries on www.frommers.com

Here is the page for Prince Edward Island. frommers.com/destinations/princeedwardisland/

And New Brunswick, for possible ideas as you drive through the province. www.frommers.com/destinations/newbrunswick/

Have you considered flying to Halifax, renting a car and spending 9 nights in Nova Scotia and 3-4 nights on PEI? That would certainly make a very nice holiday where you wouldn't have to drive for half your holiday.

Edited: 5:20 pm, October 30, 2012
Alma
reviews: 3
2. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

I suggest that you take at least 2 or 3 days to discover the Fundy coast, including Fundy National Park and the Hopewell Rockstidal exploration site. It is a relatively easy 2 day drive from Toronto to the Fundy coast, and about 3 hours drive from Fundy N Park to PEI.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 441
3. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

When I go out to Halifax, I usually try and get out there as quickly as possible...with four possible drivers, you could easily get out there in 17-18 hours driving with minimal stops and eating in rhe car....if a stop is wanted, I stopped in Edmundston, NB....

Charlottetown...
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
reviews: 65
4. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

I agree with you tdsuperstar. Sorry to say Mufti, but your time line is a little off I think. The drive as td said, could be done within a single day, but two is certainly more than enough unless the OP intends to explore NB extensively. Ashock, based on your other post, I get the sense you don't know where to start with planning this trip. I highly recommend you request a free brochure from Tourism PEI which should give you a starting point and help to narrow down your search. https://www.tourismpei.com/guide/index.php3

When you get a better handle on what you plan to do, come back and ask some specific questions. I would be happy to help, but you're just asking such general questions that it is hard to offer you much details. I think it is important to think about what you want most in a trip and identify some ideas you have as to what looks good. After that, we can provide you with more detailed information.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
5. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

The OP will have to decide what kind of a drive they want. But I agree the OP doesn't have a handle on what's involved. And I notice I misposted Toronto to Halifax, not C'town in my earlier reply.

You can "get there" in 18-19 hours, but which tourist would enjoy that and how would that make their journey enjoyable. Even driving 9 hours for 2 days, minimal stops, eating on the go would not be something I would suggest to a tourist who is asking <<Cities to visit on way - what to see>>. My advice to the OP, as I try to think like a tourist, is to take time on the journey at 5 hours driving each day allowing time for 3 hours of sightseeing, eating each day. This would make 4 days. This would leave 4 days for PEI. Decisions, decisions.

The number of things to see between Toronto and Charlottetown are too numerous to mention. Ottawa, Kingston, Gananoque, Montréal, Québec City, Gaspésie, NB and finally PEI. Some in one direction, some on the way back.

But my #1 advice would be to fly and spend those two weeks on the ground, with a rental car, in the beautiful scenery of PEI and Nova Scotia.

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 22
6. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

The last paragraph of post 5 would be my advice as well. Fly to Halifax, rent a car and spend your valuable time seeing PEI and Cape Breton... Both places are breathtakingly beautiful. And, although PEI is small...there is so much to see that it would be such a shame to have to rush through it.

7. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:32 pm, November 25, 2012
Ottawa
8. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

I would drive the whole thing in one day and grab a cottage that fits both couples. There are so many cool cottages for rent with seafront. I'm going to PEI this Spring and am doing the same search for things to do. I can tell you there's a lot more in June then in May. :)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find a lot of fun things.

I recommend seeing the National parks on the Northern shore. Beautiful beaches and trails/boardwalks to experience. As well, do one of the scenic coastal drives. And by all means, eat some seafood!

9. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:03 pm, January 24, 2013
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
reviews: 80
10. Re: I need guidance for our trip next summer -2013

Hmmm, is it only me that finds it a strange coincidence that the above poster has only four posts on the TA forums, all made today, and all touting the same property? Perhaps someone needs to read the TA forum guidelines?

Get answers to your questions about Prince Edward Island