We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wood Island Ferry

Saskatchewan
reviews: 34
Wood Island Ferry

Hello,

My husband and I will be spending a few days in PEI before we head to NS. (travelling from Charlottetown to Sydney, NS)

My question is would it be wise to pre book our ferry crossing times?

We would be leaving on a Tuesday (July 6th). As well, when we come back to PEI, we would be returning on a Tuesday (July 13th).

I've been to the NLF website and I noticed that it is recommended to book ahead of time.

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
1. Re: Wood Island Ferry

Hi RiderFanSK,

Just as a notation... You might want to plan your route so you enter and exit the Island from different options (Ferry & Bridge).

I typically recommend that Travellers approach PEI from one direction and exit from the other... perferably Ferry first and then the Confederation Bridge.

The Bridge is only a recent addition to the island... for 100s of years the only way to get to PEI was via Boat. If one imagines that, then it is easy to understand why Canada's smallest Province has such a pristine laid-back atmosphere (and because of that people fall in love with the Province every year).

Besides the rolling countryside filled with beautiful emerald green colours, you'll find this is sharp contrast to the red of the PEI shores and the blue of the water.

The Bridge has certainly made some differences to the Island... will this disturb the natural ebb-and-flo that has made PEI so different from the rest of Canada (a peaceful haven) only time will tell.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa
2. Re: Wood Island Ferry

RiderFanSK :

From what I can understand from your post, you may be arriving in Charlottetown from "the sky "and perhaps renting a car. Hope I got this right.

In any case, it is always a good thing to reserve if your travel plans are solid and you don't want to wait for the next crossing if it is full.When you reserve, you do get priority boarding//guaranteed spot on the ferry.

If you miss your crossing time, you can still use your pass, however it's first come at that point .

Enjoy your trip.

Best Regards

Saskatchewan
reviews: 34
3. Re: Wood Island Ferry

Thanks Wuts-ur-Hurry.

You are right..we are flying into Charlottetown and renting a car.

We know we would like to be in Sydney by 5:00-6:00, so we will plan accordingly.

I wasn't sure if we should book ahead, but it seems like a wise thing to do.

Thanks again!

4. Re: Wood Island Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 22, 2010