We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
reviews: 5
Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

Hello -

My husband , his parents (in their 80s), and I will be making a trip to Windsor at the end of the week. We are driving up from Indianapolis, and will be entering Windsor from Detroit, through the tunnel. Could someone let me know what to expect in terms of crossing the border and clearing customs?

We are all American citizens and have our passports. What do we need to do/know to make the process easier?

Thanks so much!

7 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
reviews: 7
1. Re: Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

See this TA article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C…

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

As long as you have valid passports and have answers to basic questions like a) How long you are staying etc. you should have absolutely no problems. I've used this border crossing several times and it's been one of the least painful.

Louisville
3. Re: Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

Thanks, ya'll! My father-in-law sometimes gets a bit flustered, and I want to make this is easy for him as I can. Being able to let him know what to expect is very helpful. Is the crossing basically like a toll booth? Do you go there directly out of the tunnel?

Thanks again.

Windsor, Canada
reviews: 80
4. Re: Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

You pay the toll on the US side (currently $4.75). As you exit the tunnel on the Canadian side, you will make an extreme right turn towards customs. There are usually at least 5 or 6 booths open for immigration and customs inspection. AVOID Lane 9 (Far right hand side) unless you all have Nexus cards. Have your passports read and open to the pictures (just makes things easier). No plants! Answer a few questions and you are through! One of the easier crossings into Canada!

Louisville
5. Re: Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

Thanks, this is very helpful!!

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 41
6. Re: Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

The procedure our family has used for years when crossing ...

turn off the radio etc when approaching the booth

Usually the passenger holds all the passports, open and ready as mentioned above.ready as

only answer exactly the question the custom officer asks, don't elaborate any further than the specific questions

the person who is asked the question should answer it.

Relax!!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 415
7. Re: Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel

Also open the back window.....

Reply to: Border Crossing Through Windsor Tunnel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted