We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

I booked a non-refundable flight to Windsor, but plans have changed and I need to cross over into Detroit and take the Amtrak to Kalamazoo to visit a friend. That said, I don't have a car and I'm looking to take the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus across as a Canadian Citizen but I'm not sure what the process is like or how long it usually takes (would the bus leave without me considering Border Control may take longer talking to me since I have no pre clearance?).

If anyone has taken it before, or even used it as part of an journey, any feedback or review would be most helpful. I'm not quite sure how to cross the border on the bus.

Many thanks! :)

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
1. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

The bus waits for all passengers to clear customs. Depending how many people are on the bus, it takes 15--30 mins for them to all clear.

You need a passport to enter the USA and customs may ask lots of questions on why you are traveling to Kalamazoo, once in awhile they do not allow the passenger in to the USA..I seen it happen once and I don't cross by bus too often.

Have you look in to taking the Greyhound bus to Kalamazoo ? That might be easier with less transfers. The Tunnel bus doesn't go too far into Detroit-manly goes to the Rosa Parks bus depot, Greyhound Detroit station is not walking distance from there, IMO

If you take Greyhound all the way, you could just board at the Windsor bus station, Greyhound buses use that station also.

Edited: 7:03 am, April 29, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 488
2. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

The tunnel bus can take longer if there is a Tigers game on, a lot of traffic can back it up and the tunnel can clog up around rush hour in addition to the wait time at customs...

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

There would be no way for you to have "pre-clearance" at that border crossing, so you're in the same boat as everyone else. Assuming you're a typical Canadian making a routine personal trip (i.e. nothing in your record to bar you from entering the US, and sufficient "ties" to Canada like a house/job/family to give you reason to return), there'd be no reason why you would take longer to get through US Immigration than other passengers on the bus.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

Maybe they are thinking about Nexus?....

Windsor, Canada
reviews: 85
5. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

Actually, that is incorrect. If a passenger is going to take longer than "the usual" the tunnel bus will continue on its way. The passenger then has a choice to walk the balance of the way or wait for the next tunnel bus. I have seen this happen on two different occasions.

That being said, as stated above, if there is no reason to hold you, you should clear US Immigration easily and board back on to the same bus. There really is no "pre-clearance" between Windsor and Detroit and you can't use Nexus on the Tunnel Bus.

Edited: 6:23 pm, April 29, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
6. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

Hi all, thanks so much for the input! I was confused about the pre clearance thing too, but I had read it somewhere on another forum and felt it was worth putting out there in case that was actually a thing. I have the return ticket booked and all, so hopefully I don't get left behind. Thanks again! :)

Santa Barbara...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

I will go to see an sport even in Detroit. I looked at hotels in Detroit downtown, but they are very expensive and cheap hotels sound scary... Now I'm looking for a hotel in Windsor. I heard Windsor is safer and there are more reasonable hotels.

I am a US green card holder and also I have a valid NEXUS card.

I just want to make sure before I book a hotel in Windsor that I won't get in trouble with traveling back and forth between US and Canada for the weekend .. Since I have NEXUS does it help?

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

Check cbsa.gc.ca

Windsor, Canada
reviews: 85
9. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

The Nexus process should make things go much quicker, but you do need to watch for the times that Nexus is open (if you plan to use it). Especially during the weekends. The Nexus leading between the U.S. and Canada closes down by 7:00.

In any case, with your Green Card and your Nexus, you should absolutely no problems crossing the border in Windsor.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
10. Re: Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus crossing times/process

I vote for staying overnight in Windsor, it is safer and cheaper for the same type of hotel room.