We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini-trip report.......

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 474
Mini-trip report.......

I went to Windsor over New Year's. Yeah, I know Windsor, right? It was with the intention of attending the Winter Classic and we all know how that turned out.

I enjoy Windsor as a whole, as I have been there five times in last four years for 2-4 jaunts. I like being able to go to Detroit for pro sports, while staying on the safer, cleaner Canadian side. This time I watched a Lions and Pistons game. Ford Field is awesome! The Palace of Auburn Hills, though, well, it's not worth the drive from Windsor (or Detroit for that matter).

I did get to watch some hockey while in Windsor on this trip. The Windsor Spitfires played the Plymouth Whalers in a spirited game at the spectacular WFCU Arena. Curiously, the WFCU Arena is not on TA for an attraction to rate. That should change!

The food on my trip was awesome. I tried the Coney dog challenge in Detroit at Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island. Also had some of the best BBQ I ever ate at Slow's BBQ. Awesome!! Go out of your way to eat here. it's that good!

While in Windsor, I had excellent food as well. I ate at Mazaar on New Year's Eve. Awesome does not begin to describe the food here! I also ate at Palenque, a small Mexican restaurant on the north side. Excellent and reasonably priced Mexican, which in itself is difficult to find.

I did notice that Windsor seemed to be hurting a little more this time versus the last time I was there. I went through Little Italy and the roads were not plowed. Roads, let alone the sidewalks. That is not good business. I was surprised to see that on this side of the border. The legal implications alone would make one think that it would not be good for the City of Windsor to allow for such poor upkeep of the roadways.

I am slowly getting my reviews up on this mini-trip, which also included short stops in Port Huron, Sarnia, Innerkip and London. Please enjoy, if interested. Now that the NHL has settled the Lockout, I now have next year to look forward to the Winter Classic and yet another trip down the 401 for some good food and good times.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
1. Re: Mini-trip report.......

Hey TD. Great review....thanks. Bummer about not seeing the winter classic but there's always next year! Also nice to hear that you still managed to see some sporting events and the fact that you were able to enjoy some really good food while you were away. Sounds like you had a really good time. Cheers.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Mini-trip report.......

Thanks Krusty...

Windsor, Canada
reviews: 1
3. Re: Mini-trip report.......

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Curious as to why you disliked The Palace at Auburn Hills? It's an amazing venue for concerts (my primary reason for going there), and great shopping in the surrounding area. Easy 20 minute trip (except during rush hour of course) to get to from Windsor/Detroit.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Mini-trip report.......

I just felt that the building is feeling dated, very 80's-esque, it's a solid 40 kms too from Detroit, the sound system there is solid, so I could see it being good for a concert....

5. Re: Mini-trip report.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 25, 2014