We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

detroit to windsor border crossing, recommended arrival time

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Royal Oak, Michigan
reviews: 2
detroit to windsor border crossing, recommended arrival time

Taking the 9 am train from windsor to toronto for a long weekend. How much time before departure is recommended that we arrive at the Windsor station? Do you check in for a train like you do for a plane? We'll take the tunnel from detroit to windsor to cross the border. Can anyone can give me a general idea of how much time to allow on a Friday morning to cross and get through customs? Is there usually rush hour traffic going that way around this time? Thanks!

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
1. Re: detroit to windsor border crossing, recommended arrival time

Arriving 15 minutes before your train leaves is good. Theoretically you could arrive on the platform 1 minute before departure and still be fine but you want to give yourself some breathing room so 15 minutes is ample.

Sorry, I'm not qualified to tell you about the traffic crossing the border. I'd say if your train leaves at 9am be at the tunnel by 7:30 just in case. Perhaps others know better.

Windsor, Canada
reviews: 84
2. Re: detroit to windsor border crossing, recommended arrival time

The rush hour between Detroit and Windsor in the morning is ultimately going the OPPOSITE way of you! Most commuters are going into the USA for work at that time.

There really is no way of knowing how much time to allow as anything could happen and slow things down.

In general if you hit the tunnel between 7:30 and 8:00 you should have plenty of time to make your train. It is about a 5 minute drive from the tunnel exit to the train station.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: detroit to windsor border crossing, recommended arrival time

You can get live border wait times at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html or via Twitter at http://twitter.com/CBSA_DCT .

"No delay" means less than 10 minutes to get to the booth, and looking back through old tweets the maximum delay I see is 20 minutes. You should allow more time than that, obviously, in case of unforeseen problems, but a long wait doesn't seem to be typical.

Re: check-in, if you received an e-ticket that says "Boarding Pass" and has a big 2-D barcode, that's all you need to board the train and there's no check-in process (unless you're checking bags, on trains that allow it). If you have a confirmation of some sort that isn't a full ticket, you'd need to visit the ticket counter or use a kiosk to print your tickets; that shouldn't take long.

Edited: 1:43 pm, October 12, 2012
Royal Oak, Michigan
reviews: 2
4. Re: detroit to windsor border crossing, recommended arrival time

great info, thanks everyone!! I really appreciate it!

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
5. Re: detroit to windsor border crossing, recommended arrival time

I hope you have a wonderful time in Toronto Kathy. I'm also wishing that you found a nice hotel that suited your group's needs. Happy travels.

PS - train travel is so nice.

Edited: 2:58 pm, October 12, 2012
6. Re: detroit to windsor border crossing, recommended arrival time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, December 15, 2013