We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel before train to toronto

Which Windsor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Royal Oak, Michigan
reviews: 2
hotel before train to toronto

we are 4 women from detroit doing a long weekend train package to toronto out of windsor later this month. Our train leaves pretty early on friday morning so I was thinking of staying in a nearby windsor hotel the night before to avoid morning rush hour and border crossing the morning of our departure. I've done this for early flights out of dtw but not seeing any type of stay park and rail hotel deals where you can leave your car parked at hotel and take shuttle or taxi to the station. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing with windsor hotels? Or, if not, seems like downtown hotels are still close/quick to get to the via rail windsor station and I understand there are no hotels near the station. So even if no package, what hotel should we look at that is sorta close to the train station for the next morning's drive, that is decent but reasonably priced with some restaurants/pubs in safe walking distance. I'm thinking of Quality Suites? Thoughts on this or any other hotels? Thanks for any advice.

Windsor, Canada
reviews: 84
1. Re: hotel before train to toronto

As you have noticed, there are no hotels "close" to the train station. The drive from downtown, where you will find an assortment of hotels is about 2 miles (or less) and should take you less than 5 minutes. There is a new entrance to the train station, as the new station is finally open.

Drive East along Riverside Drive (away from the Amabassador Bridge). Just past Walker Road (surrounded by Hiram Walker Distillery) at the next right, is the new entrance. Ample parking is available.

As far as which hotel to choose, I would suggest that you look at the TripAdvisor listings for the downtown hotels. The Quality Suites is certainly a reliable choice.

As far as restaurants in a safe walking distance, from anywhere in downtown Windsor you are within walking distance to dozens of fine restaurants. If you could give me an idea of your preferences, such as Italian, Mid-Eastern, etc. I would be better able to suggest a few!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
2. Re: hotel before train to toronto

Quality Hotel is a solid choice....I was there last year and enjoyed my stay....

Maazar is a great restaurant choice.....

Windsor, Canada
reviews: 84
3. Re: hotel before train to toronto

LOL tdsuperstar, do you have "shares" in Maazar? You recommend it every time someone asks for a choice. BUT, I agree, it is a great choice!

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
4. Re: hotel before train to toronto

Travelodge ..its just for the night and right on the river

I've had good luck with Priceline express deals or name your own price. Just double look at the map of the area, if its 3 stars it be nice, IMO...2 1/2 often times is nice as well

You don't know the name of the hotel till after you pay but I save 30% or more and pay in US dollars which helps out even more...no exchange fees

Worst case is you might end up on Huron-Church st, still no more then a 15 min drive...I got the Holiday Inn once from Hotwire and saved big..wasn't trilled with the location vs Travelodge but was a nicer hotel and just a bit more thanks to Hotwire.

Lately thou, Priceline has the better deals

5. Re: hotel before train to toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:55 pm, October 01, 2012
Edited: 10:55 pm, October 01, 2012
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
6. Re: hotel before train to toronto

Hmmm, priceline map of Windsor goes all the way out to the 401, not so great..skip Priceline

Hotwire maps cover a much smaller area, so you be certain to be closer in to get to the train station.

7. Re: hotel before train to toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 15, 2013