We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 30
Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

Hi guys,

Am in Toronto for the first time in August and staying near UnionmStation. I want to take two or three days away somewhere in the countryside and don't want to hire a car.

I like all outdoor pursuits, particularly in the water. Can you recommend a destination?

I will be going to Niagara and Niagara on the lake another time.

Cheers

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
1. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

You could take the train to Kingston or Ottawa and navigate towards the outdoors from there..

SE Ontario
reviews: 8
2. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

The train can get you to towns and cities ... however to get into the countryside (i.e. not a town) you need a car. Take a look at the VIA rail website - regular train service runs east & west from Toronto. The cross country train to Vancouver runs 3 days a week, and has some limited stops in northern Ontario.

But to really see the countryside/wilderness/lake areas, you need a vehicle. Canada does not have an extensive train service like the UK.

http://www.viarail.ca/

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 23
3. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

You could try the City of Barrie, via GO Train......approx. an hour north of Toronto....every year on the August long weekend Barrie hosts "Kempenfest" , on the shores of Kempenfelt Bay, and this is one of the largest Arts and Crafts fairs of its kind, with hundreds of booths and vendors of all descriptions, including lots of live entertainment and food, beer tents etc..........the GO Train actually has a stop right near the area Kempenfest is held in, so you could walk from the train station......downtown Barrie has a number of small pubs restaurants, some shopping, and the waterfront has a sandy beach and walking trails, which are nice even if an event if not occurring....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 23
4. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

August 2-5 incl. are the dates for Kempenfest in 2013.........

http://www.kempenfest.com

Edited: 9:10 am, June 12, 2013
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 79
5. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

Hi thestone_fox.

As mentioned above Kingston would be a good place to travel to for your get away. I believe the train trip from Toronto to KIngston is under 3 hours. Kingston is a lovely part of the province with lots of outdoor activities. Here are a few links to check out so that you can see if it is something you would be interested in.

tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g154992-Kingston_The_…

http://www.outdoorskingston.com/

viarail.ca/en/…toronto-kingston

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
6. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

I would have to recommend Parry Sound. The location is right in the heart of the 30,000 Islands on the shores of Georgian Bay. Any direction a mile or two out of town will have you in nature.

You can also take the 3 hour cruise of the 30,000 islands on the "Island Queen". Parry Sound is a town of about 6,000 people. All the amenities you'll need are located right there. There are some reasonable motels (Journey's End for sure) located in town. The area is simply gorgeous, and in my opinion, far more breath taking than the Kingston Region.....although, don't get me wrong.....I like Kingston too...lol. They are both different. You can also spend a day touring the area with a guide if you wanted to.

viarail.ca/en/…parry-sound

http://www.islandqueencruise.com/

ontariosnorth.com/UserFiles/…20Sound.jpg

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/37/98/77/i…

…triposo.com/Parry_Sound2C_Ontario.jpeg

www.brunattistorage.com/aerial_visual_1.jpg

Edited: 11:28 am, June 12, 2013
Toronto
7. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

phpr pretty much hits the nail on the head. If you want to see some real natural beauty you'll need a car, unless you can make your schedule fit with the ParkBus service, http://parkbus.ca/ .

Of the options mentioned so far I like krustytripper's idea of Parry Sound, since it's a town from which you could go on scenic cruises or rent a kayak if you prefer to be more adventurous. But train service there is fairly infrequent I think, so you might look at getting there by bus.

Gananoque, a little east of Kingston, is another option. It's the main gateway town for the Thousand Islands (not to be confused with the 30,000 Islands), so there would also be cruises and probably kayak rental opportunities.

SE Ontario
reviews: 8
8. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

Rather than a train, you should consider a bus... as it will likely provide more options.

I agree Parry Sound area is great ... but I don't think the train goes there.

Gananoque also great, but I've a feeling VIA has cut the one Gananoque stop.

Edited: 4:41 pm, June 12, 2013
9. Re: Two day inexpensive trip out of Toronto, preferably by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 14, 2014