We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 1
WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

hi - my friends and i are driving up to Toronto in July. We can't decide if we should stay at Richmond or Markham. Which area should we stay in?!! We have 6 adults and 2 kids. Any suggestions would be great esp free parking too. Thank you so much. :)

Toronto
1. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

I assume you mean Richmond Hill, since Richmond is in British Columbia.

Richmond Hill and Markham are both suburbs north of Toronto. They are far away from downtown, and a pain to get downtown from by public transit, since they are different municipalities with different transit systems. Why would you not stay in Toronto proper?

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
reviews: 30
2. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

Unless you have friends or family in either of those locations, I cannot imagine either as vacation destinations. Both are bedroom communities to Toronto, and have very little to recommend them. If you're thinking that the hotels are less expensive, factor in the 45 minute drive into downtown if you're anywhere close to crush hour. Dastardly for public transit, so you'd best have a car.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
3. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

I'd say Markham is better given the extra go transit availability...

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 70
4. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

Hi piggyfefe;

Neither. Stay downtown where you'll be close to most of the attractions.

Best Regards

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 79
5. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

Agree with the above ..unless you have a reason to stay in the outskirts of the city it would be better to stay in the downtown area. If you are on a budget, you can look at hotels at priceline or hotwire where you can get some good deals. And just generally speaking a few examples of hotels that you might want to have a look at ....that are reasonably priced are the Novatel, Radisson and the Courtyard by Marriott.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
6. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

If you are staying on the outskirts of the city to save money. Then how about looking east of the city and picking a hotel in Pickering or Ajax. Both have great GO Train stations that will bring you into the downtown core of Toronto in the blink of an eye. There are Holidays Inns etc out that way which might be more budget friendly.

For the number of people that are coming with, how about renting a house?

Toronto
7. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

Frankly if you're looking to save money by staying outside of downtown I'd still stay within the city near a TTC subway stop, just uptown. Markham has GO train too but GO transit is more expensive and service is based on commuters' schedules.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
8. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

I'll also have to say neither. Let's put it into perspective a bit. You're from NYC correct? Well, I'd assume you'd advise people to stay in Manhattan as opposed to say, Long Island. It's the same for Toronto. You want to be downtown....not in the burbs.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 12
9. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

It depends what you want to do.... If you want to golf, go to Wonderland, then yes Markham/Richmond Hill are good choices. It also has a good chinese community and the restaurants are much better than both downtown chinatown in Toronto and in NYC. e.g. Think Flushing vs Canal/Mott St. and the food is much better than what you can get in NY.

I'd suggest west part of Markham east part of richmond hill

The hotels around Highway 7 Leslie woodbine are fairly new and inexpensive compared to downtown. Parking is free. They cater to some of the business travellers so facilities are good.

You can reach the 404/DVP to get downtown, off peak 30-45 mins, rush hour may be over 1 hour with travel.

Central Richmond Hill e.g. around Hwy 7 and Yonge will be difficult to get downtown as it is away from Highways going North South.

10. Re: WHERE to stay - Richmond or Markham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 13, 2014