We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

401 or 403

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mi
reviews: 6
401 or 403

I am driving to Toronto next Monday afternoon (arriving around 2pm). I am coming for Michigan. Would you recommend the 401 or 403? We are trying to get to the Air Canada Center. Thanks

Toronto
1. Re: 401 or 403

Take the 403/QEW/Gardiner. The ACC is very close to the Gardiner so this route will keep you on the highway the whole time. The 401 takes you into northern Toronto which isn't where you're going.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: 401 or 403

The QEW may be a little more congested, but should still be faster than going via the 401... as Tweed says, the 401 heads too far north for where you're going.

Put 1 Bremner Blvd, Toronto, Ontario into your GPS or favourite mapping site if you want turn-by-turn directions right to the ACC's front door.

mi
reviews: 6
3. Re: 401 or 403

Thanks!

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
4. Re: 401 or 403

Where are you in Michigan, if your not right near Detroit I would cross over the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron. You then take the 402 to the 401 over to the 403.

Its the way I always go and I live only 30 mins from the Detroit crossing. The problem with Detroit is its a slow ride from the tunnel or bridge to the 401 and you spend more time driving through Canada. Michigan freeways have a higher speed limit and cheaper gasoline, I fill the tank up a few miles before crossing the Blue Water Bridge and then need to buy less gas in Canada to make it back in to Michigan.

The only advantage of the 401 from Detroit is it is better to take in bad snowy weather since it has more traffic and more road crews on it. The 402 has been know to shut right down in heavy snow. There is more big rigs on the 401 and they help keep things moving along in the snow.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
5. Re: 401 or 403

Just to clarify....take the 401 to the 403 in Woodstock, which takes you past Brantford and Hamilton. Then go on the QEW towards Toronto.

Once you get to Oakville you'll see a sign for the 403 again but DO NOT go there....stay on the QEW right into downtown. The QEW changes names to the Gardiner Expressway once you get into Toronto just past HWY 427.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
6. Re: 401 or 403

Either way, just be prepared to have some patience!

Canada
reviews: 48
7. Re: 401 or 403

The 403 from Woodstock to Hamilton is a great road, usually very little traffic. I can be downtown TO in about 2.5 hrs from London.

Toronto
8. Re: 401 or 403

In short, go exactly the way Google Maps would tell you to go to the ACC :)

9. Re: 401 or 403

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 17, 2014