We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow driving?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
reviews: 4
Snow driving?

I'm from Texas, and heading to Toronto for a business trip. I would like to stay downtown, either Intercontinental or Holiday Inn on King, but my work location is 2 miles from the YYZ airport. I am worried that if it snows, I won't be able to drive from the hotel to the site, which is about 16 miles away. So I guess I'm asking, what happens when it snows? Does everything shut down in Toronto, or are people still able to drive in and out of town?

Ontario,Canada
reviews: 16
1. Re: Snow driving?

Depends on the amount of it but last time it snowed 12 cm in Toronto, the Highway Patrol (O.P.P.)reported more than 300 accidents before 9 a.m. It could take you more than an hour to travel that 16miles! I would suggest an airport hotel or if you prefer our lovely suburbs the Delta Meadowvale Hotel (at the 401/Mississauga Rd) is a really great hotel! It's close to many bars, restaurant and shopping. I agree though, nothing beats Toronto!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 27
2. Re: Snow driving?

The drive from Delta Meadowvale to the airport was 5 times worse than the drive between downtown and the airport during the last snow storm. Within the city, 427 and QEW were properly salted and cleared of snow fast. The 401 from Delta Meadowvale, not.

Toronto
3. Re: Snow driving?

How many days are you expecting to be in Toronto? Honestly, we really have only a few really snowy day's a year. Odd are, if you're here for a week, probably you don't need to worry about it too much.

The commute from downtown to the airport takes a bit of time, esp, if you learning the area but being a frequent traveler myself, stay downtown. (provided they'll expense you rental car and parking)

Toronto
4. Re: Snow driving?

its the gardiner in the city and the qew west of the 401...sorry, but i made the same mistake many times and got looks of bewilderment...

Ontario,Canada
5. Re: Snow driving?

bibimbob:No need for hostility!!! I thought this was a board where people could post their own opinions???? I have lived in the area of 401 and Mississauga Rd. for over 30 years and do not find the drive from this area to the "airport" as bad as you have explained!!! I too love the city of Toronto , however if someone is spending their days in the airport area, I thought it may make more sense to stay in the area??? Please forgive me for my opinion......

poodleville TO
reviews: 9
6. Re: Snow driving?

Caledonia, I really don't think that bibimbob was showing any hostility at all, just stating an observation. I have been on the road in sales for 24 years covering Mississauga and Toronto and both of your comments could be true at any point in time, just as the other comments made are. As far as winter snow storms, driving and road conditions, you never really know until the snow falls. Youngietsetter, as far as the city shutting down during a storm, highly unlikely.(we came close only once) Slow down, very likely.

reviews: 32
7. Re: Snow driving?

Stay at the Holiday Inn on King. (The best hotel in Toronto). Usually the first snow strom prople realize they need snow tires. Besies the snow is usally clear right away. (Escapply on the 400 series highways).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 27
8. Re: Snow driving?

Distance between downtown and airport: 16 miles/27km

Distance between Delta Meadowvale and Airport: 12 miles/20 km .... few would consider it the airport area

I am really sorry that anyone is offeded when I posted my 1st opinion on this thread. Here are the facts: 7:30 pm the day of the snow storm. 427 and Gardiner - bare road surface with no snow accumulation, salted. 401 east bound between Mississauga Rd and 427 - snow covered sections. Reason probably being 401 is under provincial jurisdiction and they don't clear the snow as fast as the city.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 2
9. Re: Snow driving?

I think we're getting into a bit too much detail for the original question here guys.

Youngjetsetter, don't worry about it, you'll be able to get to your site from downtown, whether it snows or not. If there's a snow storm, just plan on leaving a bit early, but most major streets/highways are plowed very shortly afterwards. Its still business as usual when it snows here (barring extreme cases). Trust me, driving in snow in Toronto is a lot less treacherous than driving along 1960 in that torrential Houston rain :)

Toronto
10. Re: Snow driving?

i know i should have said "west of the 427"...