We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls and Kingston

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 202
Niagara Falls and Kingston

I intend to visit the Niagara Falls and the thousand islands near Kingston. I will be flying in from Grand Rapids, USA. But I am not sure whether to stay in Toronto for 4 nights, used it as my base, and take day trips to Niagara Falls and Kingston; or move to Niagara Falls to stay there for 2 nights, then take a train to Kingston for another two nights, before I fly to New York City? Any suggestion would be most appreciated as I plan for my holiday. My concern are of course cost, ease to do and time saving. Thanks.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 37
1. Re: Niagara Falls and Kingston

Are you planning to drive or use the trains?

You can day trip from Toronto to Niagara no problem (by the way - I recommend you check out Niagara-on-the-Lake in addition to the Falls). I don't think there's a train between Toronto and Niagara but the bus only takes about 1 1/2 hours or you can hire a car for the day.

But it's about 3 hours between Toronto and Kingston so I would recommend at least one overnight in Kingston. There are some lovely B&Bs in downtown Kingston and it's worth staying an overnight - particularly if you plan to visit when the weather is nice.

Singapore, Singapore
2. Re: Niagara Falls and Kingston

Thanks, I don't drive. Does taxi from airport go to Niagara Falls? Where can I board the bus to Niagara Falls, airport or Toronto city?

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 89
3. Re: Niagara Falls and Kingston

Hello.

You can take the train to both Niagara Falls and Kingston. A day trip to Niagara Falls is fine, but Kingston is close to a three hour drive one way. Although, there is one train, that is a little over two hours from Toronto to Kingston. Also, there is the option of taking a greyhound bus to Kingston. The train station and bus station are both in downtown Toronto, if you plan on staying in the downtown area. You may want to make the trip to Niagara Falls a day trip and once you leave for Kingston make the rest of your arrangements from there.

www.viarail.ca/trains/en_trai_onta_toni.html

themegacity.com/transportation/via_greyhound…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
4. Re: Niagara Falls and Kingston

Hi;

Niagara Falls is approx. 80 miles / 130 km southwest of Toronto. The average drive is about 1½ hours, without any traffic delays.

You have four transportation options available to you;

1. take a train from downtown Toronto, but limited number of trains between the two cities. www.viarail.ca

2. take a bus from downtown Toronto, frequent service. www.greyhound.ca or www.coachcanada.com

3. take a day tour bus, numerous companies.

4. take a shuttle bus from the airport. www.niagaraairbus.com

Kingston is approx. 165 miles / 265 km east of Toronto.

Just 18 miles east of Kingston is Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". You can take a 1 hr. 3 hr. or 5 hr. boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

www.ganboatline.com/

You could spend an entire week in Toronto and still have plenty to see and do !

I would suggest the following itinerary;

- take the Niagara Airbus from Pearson Int'l airport to Niagara Falls and enjoying the area.

- a bus or train from Niagara Falls to Toronto and enjoying the area.

- then a bus or train from Toronto to Kingston and enjoying the area.

- then continue east from the 1000 Islands region by bus or train to Montreal and continue to NYC from there.

NYC is approx. 500 miles / 800 km from Toronto, but only 370 miles / 595 km from Montreal. from Montreal you can fly, take a bus, or take a train to NYC.

Best Regards

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Niagara Falls and Kingston

Thanks for the plentiful info. It is helpful.

6. Re: Niagara Falls and Kingston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, October 17, 2009