We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto To Vancouver By Train

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kiev, Ukraine
Toronto To Vancouver By Train

hi

Im thinking of taking a train across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver. The one by ViaRail looks fantastic but it costs about 1400 canadian dollars!

does anyone know anything cheaper? I know i could take the viatrain and just have a seat (and not a sleeper cabin) but it would be very uncomfortable doing that for 3 days.

any help would be very much appreciated :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
reviews: 82
1. Re: Toronto To Vancouver By Train

I've heard that the scenic part is going through the Rockies, so you might want to fly to Calgary and take the train to Vancouver from there.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
2. Re: Toronto To Vancouver By Train

Hi;

Taking a quick look at Via's website, www.viarail.ca, I found the following fares.

Toronto to Vancouver, seated during the day, and sleeping in a bunk-bed type berth at night. (Canadian dollars)

Upper Berth approx. $870

Lower Berth approx. $1020

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
reviews: 82
3. Re: Toronto To Vancouver By Train

Actually, you can also check on ebay. There are many VIA rail discount coupons floating out there. Some people have posted them on ebay for a fee.

toronto
reviews: 1
4. Re: Toronto To Vancouver By Train

I have done a cimilar trip, flying from toronto in to calgary and then taking the train to Vancouver a few days later.

The train ride in a sleeper birth from Clagary to Vancouver is fantatic. Its only requires one night on the train and there is a glass dome car which you can sit in when you go though the rockies. Its quite a neat experience sharing your meals and meeting all the other tourists on board.

However, the novelty of the train trip would definelty wear off if you had to be on board for 3 days. Plus it wastes a lot of time.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 89
5. Re: Toronto To Vancouver By Train

Hi gavinjmorris

I agree with the other posters....I have taken the train from Calgary,Alberta to British Columbia and it was a great trip. The scenery is stunning, and seeing the mountains by train is one of my favorite trips I have taken.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 67
6. Re: Toronto To Vancouver By Train

If you do decide to focus on taking the train through the Rockies, there are two options: you can take ViaRail from Edmonton to Jasper to Vancouver, or you can take the Rocky Mountaineer ( http://www.rockymountaineer.com/ ) from Calgary to Banff to Vancouver.

7. Re: Toronto To Vancouver By Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 13, 2009