We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Chicago to St Catharines

Which St. Catharines hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
reviews: 6
Travel from Chicago to St Catharines

My husband and I will be in chicago for 3 nights on our way home from holidaying in Belize and would like to visit family in St Catharines while there. Is it do-able to travel from Chicago to St Catharines and back in one day and if so what is the best way to do it?

4 replies to this topic
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 41
1. Re: Travel from Chicago to St Catharines

It's an 8 hour drive each way, so the only way to do it is to fly from Chicago to Buffalo, NY (Southwest Airways 1 1/2 hr flight), and then rent a car to drive across the border to St.Catharines, about 45 minutes. With travel to/from the airports, wait time at airports, and crossing an international border twice, it will make for a very long day.

Belfast, United...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Travel from Chicago to St Catharines

Thank you so much! At present we are planning to fly home from Belize through Miami to Chicago, stay there for 3 nights and then fly home to Dublin. Since making the booking Mum has died and we would now like to visit her sister in St Catharines. May change plans and fly from Miami to Buffalo and stay there instead of in Chicago! Back to the drawing board :) Thanks again!

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
3. Re: Travel from Chicago to St Catharines

Buffalo and Chicago have nothing in common. I mean one city Chicago is a world class city, Buffalo is just a small non tourist city. Yet family is family, why not stay in Niagara Falls vs Buffalo ? Its more of a tourist place.

I will admit I never stayed even one night in Buffalo, maybe there is things to see and do over there ? I guess checkout the Buffalo forums for ideas

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
4. Re: Travel from Chicago to St Catharines

If flying to Buffalo you might as well just stay in St. Catharines which would be about a 30 minute drive from the airport at the very most.

Lots of cheap accomodations (hotels/motels) in St. Catharines....unless you stay with the family.

Reply to: Travel from Chicago to St Catharines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Catharines