We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in downtown Ottawa - car necessary?

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Staying in downtown Ottawa - car necessary?

I'm going to be staying in downtown Ottawa. Is a rental car necessary if I want to see the major sights? How far is the train station from downtown? Thanks in advance for your reply.

reviews: 148
1. Re: Staying in downtown Ottawa - car necessary?

HF

You'll be fine in downtown Ottawa without a car; I've done it several times. Here's another thread for help with the train station: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155004-i181-k3763…

-_via_rail_station_to_Lord_Elgin-Ottawa_Ontario.html

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 5
2. Re: Staying in downtown Ottawa - car necessary?

Train Station is about 15 min bus ride from downtown.

To get downtown from the Train station take the 95. It runs every 5-10 min.

Most of the major attractions are right downtown, and the rest are close by.

You will need to take a bus to get to the Aviation Museum or the Science and Tech museum. Go to www.OCtranspo.?? for schedules and routes to take to get to the other places.

Go to the Capital Info Centre on Wellington, across from the Center Block, they will have info on all you want to see.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
reviews: 79
3. Re: Staying in downtown Ottawa - car necessary?

I used to live in Ottawa and visited the downtown area many times. I would agree that a car is not necessary, and may actually cause more difficulties.

If you need to go somewhere a little further you can also take a city bus (OC Transpo). Here is a link to their schedules etc.

http://www.octranspo.com/

Good luck.

Ottawa, Ontario...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Staying in downtown Ottawa - car necessary?

I agree - car will cause you more trouble finding parking for most major tourist sites. For the few exceptions - Rideau Hall, Aviation Museum, Museum of Civilization, War Museum - cabs are very plentiful in Ottawa - or, as an alternative, Grey Line offers guided tours to major sites and includes a hop on, hop off service:

grayline.ca/tours/pages/graylineca/graylinec…

Ottawa
5. Re: Staying in downtown Ottawa - car necessary?

Agreed with all. If you are staying downtown you really don't need a car. Most of the tourist sites are downtown and can be reached on OC Transpo (public transit) or can be walked to depending on where you stay.

Walking Distance

================

Art gallery

Museum of civilization

Parliament

Supreme Court

The Market area (restaurants, small stores)

Rideau Shopping center

The Canal

Locks on the canal as they head down to the ottawa river

Nation Arts Center (shows, ballets, opera, orchesta and so on)

The mint

Sparkstreet mall - another promenade for walking, shopping, eating

Bus

====

Aviation

War Museum

Science and tech

Museum of man (i think it might go by another name now)

Rideau Hall

Patios

======

Many restaurants will have patios in the summer. The market area has lots of restaurants and is nice to walk around.

The National arts center (NAC) also has a nice upscale restaurant (le cafe) and it has a patio alongside the canal.

Other Things

===========

You might be able to rent bikes (not sure but check online) . There are a tonne of bike trails including one behind parliament hill along the water.

There's other stuff to do, but since I live here I tend to forget about the touristy stuff.

ps. be sure to try a beaver tail in the market

6. Re: Staying in downtown Ottawa - car necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 15, 2009