We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip next September 2013

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford UK
reviews: 5
Planning a trip next September 2013

Hello

Planning a trip to Toronto, Niagara Falls and Ottawa next year, which is the best way to do this, plan to stay in Toronto for a couple of days, go to Niagara falls for a couple of days then visit Ottawa (staying with relatives). Would driving be the best option or train? We're in no hurry as we have 10-14 days, thought we might drive (although don't fancy driving in a city) and stay over in a few places on the way to Ottawa, where would be a good place to stay over between Niagara Falls and Ottawa?

Any advice would be most welcome

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
1. Re: Planning a trip next September 2013

Hi Teeaay;

About 165 miles / 265 km, a 3 hour drive east of Toronto, about 103 miles / 165 km southwest of Ottawa, are the towns of Kingston and Gananoque.

In the town of Kingston, you won't want to miss Fort Henry, which has been designated a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization. (UNESCO)

The original Fort Henry was built during the War of 1812, between Canada and the United States.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154992-d6…

http://www.forthenry.com/

Just 18 miles east of Kingston is Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". You can take a 1 hr, 2.5 hr, or 5 hr boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g182143-d1…

www.ganboatline.com/

The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29794-d105…

www.boldtcastle.com/

While in Gananoque, check out;

The Thousand Islands Playhouse for great live theatre.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g182143-c88400/Gananoq…

http://www.1000islandsplayhouse.com/

1000 Islands Skydeck

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1200493-d1…

http://www.1000islandsskydeck.com/home.php

If you decide to stay in Gananoque overnight, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock, and the St Lawrence River.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182143-d619664…

www.islandviewinnbb.com/

The Holiday Inn Express would be my second choice, but is located at the opposite end of town.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182143-d578912…

hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/yonca/hoteldetail…

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

Canada has a natural beauty that MUST be seen, which is why I'm suggesting some time in the 1000 Island Region. IMHO, I would cut out 1 or 2 days of city sightseeing somewhere !

You could use the train to get to Kingston from Toronto, and then rent a car for your time in the 1000 Islands.

www.VIARail.ca

Best Regards

Edited: 7:26 am, November 02, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: Planning a trip next September 2013

an alternative route, though somewhat of a detour and longer, would be to drive up past Barrie, Orilia and huntsville and through Algonquin parc. great scenery, natural beauty, and in September, potential for great fall colours.

i.e. Highway 400 north from toronto, 112 from Barrie and 60 from huntsville to renfrew and finallyon to the 17/417 to Ottawa

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
3. Re: Planning a trip next September 2013

If you're landing in Toronto, and that is the first part of your trip, I would want to stay 3 nights at least. You won't need a car if you plan on staying downtown, which is what I'd strongly recommend.

You should rent a car the day you leave Toronto and take it to Niagara Falls and then onward to Ottawa and stop inbetween. I'm not sure if you'll be able to borrow a car from a family member once in Ottawa, but if that's the case, (or you won't need a car in Ottawa) return the car there.

I'm not sure if you'll pay a little more for dropping off the car in another city (Ottawa) from where you originally picked it up (Toronto). I think there might an extra fee but you'll need to ask to make sure.

Basically you don't need a car in Toronto. Most things are within a reasonable walking distance or you can use publice transit (which is very easy) or a short taxi ride if you prefer. From the airport you can take a taxi to downtown Toronto for about $55.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 598
4. Re: Planning a trip next September 2013

Depending on cost, in some ways I would fly into Ottawa or Montreal then head west, less back tracking that way.....

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 29
5. Re: Planning a trip next September 2013

When planning your trip to Niagara Falls, take a look at a small neighbouring town called Niagara on the Lake. It is has lovely inns, a very pretty main street, vineyards, and the Shaw festival. Easy drive along the parkway to the Falls.

tourismniagara.com/discover-niagara/1119-nia…

OTTAWA
reviews: 2
6. Re: Planning a trip next September 2013

Apart from Kingston, a beautiful place to stop is Prince Edward County. You can take a nice wine tour, try the restaurants, and to Sandbank Provincial Park, there you will find a great beach!

7. Re: Planning a trip next September 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 11, 2013