We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
reviews: 1
Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

I am considering moving to Ottawa and interested in these areas: McKellar Park, Westboro, Carleton Heights ,Manor Park, Lindinea. I am interested in a upper middle class Englophone area with families with older kids and an excellent high school and within 25 minutes by bus to downtown. Where are some of the bad neighbourhoods to avoid? Where are the good Chinese restaurant that serve Dim Sum to a real Chinese clientele?

Ottawa, Canada
1. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

Westboro is a really nice upper middle class sector with some interesting store on Wellington and Richmond Rd. We prefer to leave closer to downtown, in historical Lebreton Flats.

Chinatown, on Somerset St. between Bronson and Booth have numerous great places for Dim Sum. Bienvenue à Ottawa.

Ottawa, ON
2. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

Best spot for Chinese in Ottawa is Me Kong, hands down is the best.

Qualicum Beach...
reviews: 52
3. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

I absolutely LOVE the golden triangle area if you can afford it. Right off the canal and walking distance to downtown/the market. Also can hop on and off the Queensway with no problem.I have been sorry ever since I moved out of there. Several excellent dim sums in the Chinatown area. You can find anything you want in Ottawa.

Ontario, Canada
4. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

Thanks to all for replying to my post. What are the top high schools in Ottawa? Is it really bitter cold in Ottawa in the winter as I have heard?

Qualicum Beach...
5. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

My son went to Lester B Pearson - big NO for that school. I also do some Junior Achievement teaching...HUGE NO to Immaculata High School. I hear good and bad about schools all over the city. I don't think I am in a position to really comment any further. Some of the Orleans schools appear to be good, but I wouldn't live in Orleans.

Ottawa
6. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

By far the two best high schools in Ottawa -- near downtown -- are Lisgar Collegiate and Glebe Collegiate. The Glebe is a wonderful are to live, shops, restaurants, yet very family friendly ... very close access to downtown. The homes are brick, older, character etc. but lots are small.

Westboro is similar. Just south of the Glebe is Old Ottawa South, similar, but a bit less pricey, although it's getting more and more expensive, but great parks, schools and community for families.

McKellar is nice too, a bit more "suburban" -- probably get more more your housing dollar. Not sure which are good high schools in the west end. Another area you may want to consider in Alta Vista, very similar to McKellar. Great high schools -- Canterbury is an "arts" high school if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Good luck!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 72
7. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

I've lived in both Old Ottawa South and Westboro/MacKellar Park and currently live in the Glebe. Hands down the Glebe wins.

Ontario, Canada
8. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

Thanks again for the people who have replied. I have heard of the Glebe, it looks interesting but indeed it's kind of pricy and I do prefer bigger lots for gardening. Tell me more about Ottawa South, what is the local high school? Is Alta Vista an OK area considering it is close to South Keys with a bad reputation?

Ontario, Canada
9. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

Thanks again for the people who have replied. I have heard of the Glebe, it looks interesting but indeed it's kind of pricy and I do prefer bigger lots for gardening. Tell me more about Ottawa South, what is the local high school? Is Alta Vista an OK area considering it is close to South Keys with a bad reputation?

Qualicum Beach...
10. Re: Where are the bad areas in Ottawa and good Chinese...

Oh come on...Ottawa South is not THAT bad. Its just multi ethnic...I moved there a couple of years ago and have got quite used to it. In fact it is quite interesting to see how the grocery stores are not only catering to the "caucasians". I have met some really nice immigrants. Of course, I like to meet people who are DIFFERENT than me. I honestly don't know where the high school is in this area though...LOL Can tell you where the dog park is though...LOL