We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

... in 2 days! They all sound so wonderful that it's hard to know what to cut-out. Can anyone look at my list and give me any suggestions I would really appreciate it. We are exited to be relaxing without our 4 kids and really just want to explore. In addition to tastings we were thinking of visiting Cave Springs, Ft. George and maybe Ball Falls. I realize that some of the calculus comes down to personal preferences. Although I included a few larger operations we are mostly fans of smaller establishments. Places where you can really connect with the owner and hear the story behind the product are our favorite. We would rather do just a few of those than many of the less intimate tastings/ tours. We enjoy both red & white but tend not to like sweeter wines. Thanks in advance for your help - I'm tearing my hear out over this!

NOL:

Between the lines; Stonechurch; Lailey; Jackson-Triggs; Caroline Cellars; Southbrook; Featherstone; Trius (dinner?); Frogpond farm; Marynissan

Jordan:

Flatrock; Sue-Ann Staff Winery; Calamus

Vineland

Tawse; Foreign Affair; Vineland Estates (dinner?)

St. Catherines:

Ravine Vineyard; 13th Street; Henry of Pellham

17 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
reviews: 7
1. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

Great list! Personally I'd skip Henry of Pelham, and add in Malivoire in Jordan. Flatrock has a fabulous view and good wine.

As you say, it's all in personal choice.

Edited: 7:16 am, June 19, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 437
2. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

Hope you are not driving in between all 19 wineries!

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

Ha! So funny - Henry of Pelham was a last-minute addition and I took off Malivoire and a few others... And no, we do not plan on driving between the wineries. But we also don't plan on doing 19 either... I'm just looking for help in narrowing them down so if anyone has had a particularly great experience at one (or the opposite I guess) that would be great to hear!

Toronto
reviews: 35
4. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

How old are your kids?

East Northport, New...
reviews: 9
5. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

Dont forget riverview cellars in notl. Great wines, low key...great care. Tell them dr rob sent you....

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
reviews: 92
6. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

Coyote's Run in St. Davids (not too far from Ravine which is actually in St. Davids, not St. Catharines) is a wonderful winery with a more personal experience than found at the larger ones. I also highly recommend Strewn in NOTL.

Chicago, Illinois
7. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

Thanks so much for the response - I will look into them!

Toronto
reviews: 56
8. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

Tawse for sure, smaller and they have won winery of the year last three years. Flat Rock is also very good. Featherstone is close to Tawse and worth a look. In Jordan, About Thyme bistro is great for lunch. Check their website for openkng hours and days.

Houston, Texas
9. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

So what were your favorites? It sounds like we like the same kinds of wines. We are leaving in 5 days and only have time for 1 and we'll be a 10 and 13 year old.

thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Angie

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
reviews: 35
10. Re: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...

I would skip frog pond and stone church, head to PondView (the owner/winemaker is usually manning the wine bar), definitely make sure you get to between the lines, best new winery in Niagara. Our guests and friends rave when we take them there. We haven't had great wine at Caroline but they have unique fruit wines. Our usual Beamsville Bench tour starts at 13th St, Flat Rock, Cave Springs, Tawse, Hidden Bench, Thirty Bench and Fielding. (The last 3 are all on mountain view road, the most beautiful sights in Niagara). Our NOTL tour is usually JT for Clos Jordanne, Stratus, Southbrook, breweries Oast House &Silversmith. Day 2 is Colaneri, coyotes run, chateau des charmes, ravine, BTL, Lailey, PondView, reif, Peller. Hope that helps! My dad drives for NCT and he usually can get 5-6 wineries in on a tour. But some groups have made it to 14 in one day if you really book it!

Reply to: Well I've narrowed it down to 19 wineries...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake