We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara wines

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey England
reviews: 61
Niagara wines

What type of wine is produced in this region.

We are fond of NZ sauvignon blanc and pinot noir wines.Is there anything similar?

We were thinking of heading straight from the airport to Niagara Falls for one night but I am now in favour of going instead to Niagara on the Lake and spending two nights there.

Thinking of driving to the falls for the morning and spending a large part of the afternoon and second evening in NOTL to have a look around and visit a vineyard hopefully.

Would this work time wise?

SE Ontario
reviews: 9
1. Re: Niagara wines

winecountryontario.ca/niagara-on-the-lake

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
reviews: 23
2. Re: Niagara wines

Make sure you sample an award winning Canadian Icewine...which is a type of dessert wine (although you may already be familiar with it)...it is produced from grapes which have frozen while still on the vine..........the Niagara region is the premier producer of this type of wine....in fact 3/4 of all Icewine produced in Canada comes from Ontario..............Pillitteri Estates is a huge producer of Icewine in the region (but there are others).........

Edited: 4:04 pm, January 04, 2013
Surrey England
reviews: 61
3. Re: Niagara wines

Thanks, I must say that I had not heard of this wine before.In fact, I hadn't realised that Canada produced wine on such a scale.

I am not very fond of sweet wine but I guess I'll have to try this icewine.

SE Ontario
reviews: 9
4. Re: Niagara wines

Canada is a huge wine producer - Ontario and British Columbia being the two largest regions for growing. As noted Icewine from Niagara is a specialty, but it is an acquired taste and not really a "drinking" wine ... much too sweet. The Niagara region is known mainly for its whites, but there a number of wineries producing excellent reds also.

If you do a search for wine or wine tours in the NOTL forum you'll find a number of previous threads giving suggestions of wineries to tour and taste at. Everyone pretty much has their own favorites. In NOTL itself my favorites are Lailey, Southbrook, and Strewn. Other favorites are located on the Twenty-Bench (Niagara Escarpment) - which is just outside of NOTL - Flat Rock, Malivoire, Creekside.

5. Re: Niagara wines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake