We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A wine industry question

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 106
A wine industry question

A group of us will be visiting NOTL in July. All of us are American Wine Society members and several of us volunteer at local wineries. Here's my question - in the US, we get free tastings and discounts on wine since we're AWS members and/or in the industry. Does this apply in Canada as well?

Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 95
1. Re: A wine industry question

I doubt you will get a discount on the wine, not sure if that is legal in Ontario. As for tastings you may have to check with the individual wineries. The fee for tastings varies depending on the winery. I find that often the bigger wineries charge the most, while smaller ones do not charge. Many of them will waive the tasting fee if you buy some bottles, but it varies depending.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
2. Re: A wine industry question

I'm not sure if there is a discount either. I think your best bet is to call the wineries you're planning on visiting and ask them directly. Good luck.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
3. Re: A wine industry question

Hi Julie,

As a previous reply mentions we are not allowed to discount wine in our monopoly system. Most of us to respect fellow wine and hospitality professionals and offer complimentary tastings. However, I strongly recommend that you book ahead. July will be very busy and with a group some of our smaller tasting rooms may not have room for you. When you do call to book head please do mention that you are in the wine industry in the US to see what can be offered to you.

Best of luck!

Virginia
4. Re: A wine industry question

Thanks for the responses. I figured there might not be discounts or free tastings, but it never hurts to ask. :) Surprising to hear that some of the small wineries offer free tastings, that's an unusual thing here in Virginia.

I'll be sure to book ahead since we have picked which wineries to visit, and I'll make sure to tell them we're in the industry.

Thanks again!

London, Canada
reviews: 55
5. Re: A wine industry question

Julie~ I hope Chateau des Charmes is on the list after the very helpful answer from Michele.....and because it's a wonderful winery with terrific wines! :)

www.chateaudescharmes.com/come-visit-us

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
6. Re: A wine industry question

Thank you very much Tobie!

Virginia
7. Re: A wine industry question

Yes, thank you Tobie!! I wondered which winery she was associated with but didn't want to ask since someone might call that advertising and delete her post.

Following your link now! :)

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 40
8. Re: A wine industry question

For general, but wine industry related, questions like these, I think Michele should absolutely indentify her affiliation. It lets people know that the answer is from someone with specific knowledge of the industry.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
9. Re: A wine industry question

I did try that but it got kicked so I had to re-word it. Its all good. That's what great communities are all about-- we are supporting each other. Works for me :)

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
10. Re: A wine industry question

TO MICHELE BOSC,

Great to see you again!

The TA FORUMS POSTING GUIDELINES are sometimes hard to decipher...

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_are_the_guidelines_…

For the record, you can reply to ANY Question here on TripAdvisor… including those on the Wine Industry as long as it doesn't include any sort of info (pro-wording), contact (email, phone numbers, address... "call me" etc) for your own Winery.

If you were to reply to a “general” Question about wine, then you should make what is known as a "Declaration Statement" that tells the Traveller who you are...

"Hi, I am Michele Bosc, the Director of Marketing for Chateau des Charmes Winery”

OR opt as some other business owners have on TA and just state somewhere in your posting…

“You should be aware that I work in the local wine industry”

Technically… if you put up info about the Wine Industry, and don’t identify yourself then that could be deemed INAPPROPRIATE as well.

Lol, I know the GUIDELINES are difficult to understand… danged if you do, danged if you don’t !!

Of course, there are many of us who are fans of the Winery, so we are never shy in referring it either.

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake