We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine tours

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
wine tours

We will be visiting the Niagara area in late July. Although we will have our own car, we would like to take a tour of the wineries so no one has to be the "designated driver". All types of wines are enjoyable to us and we would like to make it an all day event. Does anyone have the names of some favorable tour guides to show us around? I have read several posts but couldn't find any info on names of tour companies etc..

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
1. Re: wine tours

Hi Geowoman1,

Welcome to the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see that you are NEW to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

There are several different ways to do Wine Tours in the Niagara Region…

OPTION # 1

LARGE Organized Motorcoach Tours (good if someone has NO WINE KNOWLEDGE, and doesn’t mind going to just a couple of wineries with 50 other people)… some of the Motorcoach Tours also include some time sightseeing in the Niagara Region (such as Historic NOTL).

OPTION # 2

The second option are the Organized Wine Tours for those who have a BASIC to MEDIUM INTEREST in wine. Most of these run small groups (under a dozen people) and focus on wine, wine tasting, and touring. Tours tend to be either ALL DAY with lunch include, or Afternoons (no lunch)… many also have Special Events such as Cellar Dinners etc.

The 4 primary names in this second group (which I believe is the type of touring you are interested in) are…

* Crush on Niagara Wine Tours = www.crushtours.com

* Niagara Wine Tours International = www.niagaraworldwinetours.com

* Grape Escape Wine Tours = www.tourniagarawineries.com

* Niagara Vintage Wine Tours = www.niagaravintagewinetours.com

I have just completed a complete REVIEW of what is on Offer by the Wine Touring Companies for this 2011 Season… and will post that info in the next day or two… look for it.

OPTION # 3

Private Touring… there are some local Limo Companies that specialize in Wine Touring Packages… most let the clients build their own Itinerary… and they provide the transportation. This is an Excellent option for anyone who knows A LOT ABOUT WINE or want to customize their package.

OPTION # 4

Self Touring… Niagara Wine Country is quite compact spans aprox 50 Kms (30 Miles) from Niagara-on-the-Lake thru to Winona. The area is easy to self-drive on paved country roads, and many of the wineries are close together. There is a good selection of Restaurants as well in the Region. Self-Touring is a good option for ALL LEVELS OF WINE KNOWLEDGE.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… If I have guessed wrong with Option # 2, let us know… there are certainly suggestions and recommendations that can be made for the other 3 choices for Wine Touring.

Edited: 4:38 am, April 21, 2011
Houston, Texas
2. Re: wine tours

Thank you very much Wine 4-2. You have given me a lot to think about. Option 2 or 3 are what we are looking at and your info in greatly appreciated. I will check back in a few days to read your reviews. In the meantime I will check out the companies you have listed.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 11
3. Re: wine tours

We did a tour with Crush on Niagara (www.crushtours.com) and found them quite professional and knowledgeable!

Good luck with your search!

Houston, Texas
4. Re: wine tours

It has been a few months but have checked for the information Wine-4-2 said would be posted about the REVIEW on what the wine companies have to offer in 2011. Guess I missed it. Would you point me to where the info was posted. I have looked but cannot find it! I wanted to read the REVIEW before we made a final decision on which company to book with. Thanks.

London, Canada
reviews: 62
5. Re: wine tours

I missed it too but there are some other reviews or posts about this over the past year----using the search aspect of the forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154999-i270-k37926…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154999-i270-k45195…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154999-i270-k30520…

The fact you have someone vouching for their experience with Crush should help you make a decision too! :)

6. Re: wine tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, October 30, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake