We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 1
Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

Hi everyone,

Just back from our trip and i wanted to update everyone as there have been many questions and loads of confusion about crossing into the US from Canada with a UK passport.

What we found out was as we had originally come from the US as part of our holiday and had just gone to Niagara for a night or 2, when we crossed back into the US there was no problem, no fee and a simple welcome back to the US. We noticed that other people who were entering into the US for the first time did have to fill in some forms and answer various questions, but the US border control were very polite and did their best to hurry the process up. We crossed the border on foot.

Hope this helps someone

139 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
reviews: 9
111. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

859AMck - you need to go to an authorized US government site ... we are not US immigration experts and we cannot (as Canadians) confirm whether the USA will let you in.

http://www.cbp.gov/

Edited: 12:07 pm, August 07, 2014
London, United...
112. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

Matt your post says you need an ESTA - exactly opposite to what the TripAdvisor advice is if you are only entering the USA by land for the first time. That's what we're doing. So can you confirm that if you are flying to ~Canada and then entering the USA by land and leaving later to go home you do NOT need an ESTA but fill in the I-194 at the border.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 42
113. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

Matt did NOT say that you needed an ESTA. He said that if you already had one, it might make obtaining the I94W at the land border a little easier.

London, United...
114. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

OK - but I've since been advised that since although we're entering over land we're leaving from the USA byu plane an ESTA would be important for the departure, as it attaches to the passport. So I've obtained one. If the worst comes to the worst we've wasted $28!

Scunthorpe, United...
115. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

I'm planning doing a border crossing trip at Niagara Falls in the near future, and was wondering how long on average I would be waiting at the border when it's November?

Mishawaka
116. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

Crossing from the USA to Canada, were there any issues?

Cambridge, Canada
117. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

No issues, just a long wait usually.

Cambridge, Canada
118. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

Average about an hour, beware of Black Friday (November 28) 3 hours plus at least!

Scunthorpe, United...
119. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

Thank you for the advice. I once heard that non-Canadian or US citizens usually have about 70% chance of being refused entry for no reason whatsoever!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
120. Re: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport

Hi DanielBurc;

I don't know where you heard that tidbit of information, but it is incorrect.

Best Regards

Reply to: Crossing from Canadaian Side to the US with uk passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted