We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What hotels can you pay cash at?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
What hotels can you pay cash at?

We are heading to the falls Oct 22nd, 23rd, 24th and 25th. I already have a room booked for two nights Fri and Sat the 23rd to 25th.

I got it free with my points i've collected and am getting two nights free at the Comfort Inn Lundys Lane. I know its not much but its free.

Anyways we are leaving on thursday and I would like to fine a hotel for one night but my concern is when you reserve a room they need your credit card number which is fine.

We are renting a car so the deposit I need to put down for the car rental will leave me with no money on my credit card ($300 limit)

I am just wondering is there any hotels where you can reserve a room with your credit card but they will let you pay in cash instead of holding money on your credit card when you arrive?

The only one I know of is the Olympia on Centre St. does anyone know of any other places?

I was going to book a package at the Falls Plaza but from what I understand when I check in they will put a hold on the amount of money my room costs which is no good.

Anyways sorry this is so long hoping someone can help.

Thanks

1. Re: What hotels can you pay cash at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:35 pm, October 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
2. Re: What hotels can you pay cash at?

Hi OneBetter,

Sorry for the REPOST... Can`t wait until TA gets an EDIT Button!

--- --- ---

If I was to answer your Question as written:

<< What Hotels can you pay cash at? >>

My answer would be different from the Question you seem to really want to ask:

<< What Hotels can you book without them precharging your Credit Card? >>

And the answer to that isn`t many. Because of the fact that NF is a popular tourist destination where there is year-round fairly high demand... and they don`t have a lot of problems selling a room... they tend to charge one`s card right away (and then issue a refund if you cancel).

Hopefully, some of the other Travellers will have a couple of names of Hotels where this has been their experience, and then you can contact and make a booking.

If you do happen to find a hotel that will agree to your situation... not charging your card in advance... they`ll still normally want to run the charge once you check in. However, there is a way around this also... When you check in make it clear that you`ll not be using your Credit Card, but paying in Cash... they inturn will usually ask for a Cash Deposit of one-and-a-half to two times the rate for the Room (so $ 200 becomes $ 300 to $ 400). When you check out, you get back whatever the difference is between the Deposit and the actual room charges (room, taxes, mini bar, phone calls, parking, etc).

Just remember (a) To get back / destroy the Credit Card Slip that they would have prepared in anticipation of your arrival, and (b) Have them give you a Deposit Receipt for the Cash you gave them. Otherwise, you run the risk of being charged twice... once by Cash and once by Credit Card (defeats the whole purpose).

BTW, I know that having to fork over a big wad of cash (on hold) is a pain, but if it means that your credit card is freed up then you`ve achieved your goal. Good Luck.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
3. Re: What hotels can you pay cash at?

Ooops,

Gosh the wording of this post has given me a lot of trouble, I meant to say:

<< Hopefully, some of the other Travellers will have a couple of names of Hotels where they have been able to have the experience you are looking for, (not having their Credit Cards pre-charged at the time of booking) and then you can make contact and a booking. >>

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: What hotels can you pay cash at?

If you can afford to pay early, one trick that works with some credit cards is to overpay your credit card bill. If your monthly balance was $100, and you paid $600, the credit card company MAY hold the $500 overpayment as a credit on your account which means you'd now have $800 ($500 plus your usual $300 credit limit) in "available credit".

Not all credit cards work this way, so you'd need to check with your bank in advance.

Good luck!

Canada Eh
reviews: 3
5. Re: What hotels can you pay cash at?

we've been going to the falls twice a year for the past 6 years and have always paid cash, we book with a CC, but pay for the room in cash upon check in...only one hotel has asked us for a cash damage deposit, which they return at checkout...

we've stayed at the Courtyard, the oakes, the embassy suites , the hilton and the ramada plaza.

Pittsburgh
reviews: 52
6. Re: What hotels can you pay cash at?

We always stay at the Marriott Courtyard - they request a credit card GUARANTEE, they have never charged our account. I generally give my credit card number but pay cash when we arrive. I don't like to pay the additional fee the banks charge for international exchange rates.

The guarantee is just that, if we don't show up by 6:00 p.m.then they charge the card for one night.

7. Re: What hotels can you pay cash at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 21, 2010