We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

Which Leamington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

We will be visiting Point Pelee for the Birding Festival in May, staying about halfway between Leamington and Kingsville. News has reached us that Highway 3 is going to be slow and busy on account of the transportation of wind turbines from Windsor to Port Alma area between April 21 and July 11.

We will be crossing into Canada from Michigan at Port Huron/Sarnia. If we travel on 401 from Chatham-Kent, and then on 77, are we going to avoid any and all of the hassle we might experience by using 3?

Thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
1. Re: Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

Hi;

I would usually advise people to cross at Pt. Huron / Sarnia. The exit for Hwy 77 is only 40 miles / 65 km from the Detroit / Windsor crossing. As your destination is so close to the Detroit / Windsor crossing, I think you should consider changing you plans and avoid driving out of your way. IMHO, you won’t save any time going the longer way.

Saginaw to exit 48 (the exit for Hwy 77) via the Detroit / Windsor crossing is approx. 134 miles / 216 km

Saginaw to exit 48 (the exit for Hwy 77) via the Pt Huron / Sarnia crossing is approx. 175 miles / 281 km.

Taking Hwy 77 into Leamington would avoid having to drive on Hwy 3.

Best Regards

London, Canada
reviews: 61
2. Re: Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

I don't think you need to go that far off your route. Why not go along Huron Church (the"Bridge" Rd) to Howard Avenue to N. Townline Rd (highway 8) all the way to Albuna line.

Go directly south from there and you'll be only a mile or so from Ruthven which is probably the area you're staying.

Should avoid problems, but also avoid wasting time.

Check http://maps.google.com/ and print details for an easy journey.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
3. Re: Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

Hello RescueTeam and Tobie,

Thanks so much for the detailed replies. I should have explained more clearly, we choose to go via Port Huron/Sarnia and then to Chatham-Kent precisely because we enjoy travelling on less busy routes. Part of the pleasure is being able to see the countryside as we travel between Sarnia and Chatham-Kent and then on to Leamington/Kingsville. We love the scenic route via 3 but we didn't want to end up encountering those large, wide loads. My main concern was the part of the journey from Chatham to Leamington/Kingsville. I'm Irish so getting anywhere in a hurry is not part of my vocabulary.

This will be our fifth trip to Point Pelee during the annual Birding Festival; it's one of the highlights of our year! It will be interesting to see if the number of visitors is down this year, especially from the US because of the higher gas prices; which is another good reason to take the slower pace and get better gas mileage...

Thanks again.

Mary

London, Canada
reviews: 61
4. Re: Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

<<This will be our fifth trip to Point Pelee during the annual Birding Festival; it's one of the highlights of our year!>>

Then you're much more familiar with the area than I am! Have a good trip and if you encounter a truck with a turbine, have your maps in hand and just take a secondary road.

Enjoy your time birding. :)

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
5. Re: Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

Thanks Tobie. If you're ever down that direction, especially, during the month of May, even if you know nothing about birds, Point Pelee is a great place to check out. The first time we visited was the third weekend in May and the trees were totally covered in leaves which makes it a bit more difficult to see the birds. However, it was that lovely fresh green that is so beautiful the first few weeks of spring and then you become used to it and it loses its impact a little. Anyway, while we were there it was warm and sunny and it truly was my idea of paradise. (It can, of course, be cool and chilly or wet and windy; such conditions while unfortunate for the birds, can make it easier for the bird watcher to get a better view of the birds as they are more focused on food than on worrying about the proximity of humans).

While the park itself is relatively small (and, relatively small in Canada is always relatively big for me!), there are many footpaths and pleasant paths to walk on for all levels of ability. In addition, the Friends of Pt Pelee offer Guided Walks at Weekends during the Birding Festival with exceptional guides who go out of their way to make sure everyone on the walk (from zero birding experience to experienced) gets to see what's going on. They keep the numbers in the groups in or around 15 for that reason; most of the guided walks are in English and some are in French.

Some good, reasonably-priced restaurants both in Kingsville and Leamington as well to round off the perfect day.

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

You're right - Point Pelee is great, year-round. Your Hwy. 77 route you first posted should be fine. I live in Windsor and we're not really expecting slowdowns because of the turbines, but better safe than sorry. Enjoy birding!

7. Re: Getting to Leamington and Kingsville + Avoiding Highway #3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Leamington
More Leamington Topics