We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Kingston/Ganonoque beginning of June

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
unbeleafable
Weather in Kingston/Ganonoque beginning of June

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of taking our kayaks to the Kingston/Ganonoque area and touring around the Thousand Islands. Someone told my husband that the blackflies are really bad right now in Kingston. Is this true? Will they be gone by June? Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Kingston, Canada
reviews: 4
1. Re: Weather in Kingston/Ganonoque beginning of June

The black flies were bad last week but seem better right now. It has been fairly cool out for later in May but, by June it will be somewhat warmer. Probably in the seventies or so at least. You can expect a few spring rains. In June and July Kingston is really lovely! Usually good weather, flowers in bloom, outdoor activities along the water front gear up then too.

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 2
2. Re: Weather in Kingston/Ganonoque beginning of June

Hi!

Just wanted to clarify that there are "Black Flies" and "May Flies" aka midges that are small flies that are black. The May Flies are extremely prominent in Kingston mainly in May but can extend in June. Kingston gets swarms of them but they are more of a nuisance since they get everywhere but do not bite. Black flies on the other hand you'll find in more rural areas all over Ontario and do bite. I agree with PP it is beautiful to visit here in Spring/Summer and I've done kayak trips in Gananoque which are beautiful. I have never been bitten by a black fly but the may flies midges are constantly being found on me at this time of year!

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 143
3. Re: Weather in Kingston/Ganonoque beginning of June

Hello

I just returned from spending a few days camped at Ivy Lea in the heart of the 1000 Islands and there were no Black Flies, although a few days before the flies were very thick about 40km north of the river. The mosquitoes are starting to come out in force now that we have had some warm weather and you may find more problems with mosquitoes near the river, however bring a good mosquito repellant (a must have for any exposure to mosquito areas in Ontario due to threats of Lime Disease and West Nile Virus, according to some Ontario Health Units)

While not an exact science, in general you will usually find Black Flies in the woods, often when camping or hiking and Mosquitoes you will find more often around water. Especially still water.

I would dress and use repellant and enjoy what looks to be spectacular weather in early June. We are getting temperatures in the low 20's most days now with the current forecast for the first two weeks of June showing lots of sun and low 20 temps.

Reply to: Weather in Kingston/Ganonoque beginning of June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted