We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingston penitentiary

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 46
Kingston penitentiary

How much time should one allocate to tour this facility in the summer

3 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 5
1. Re: Kingston penitentiary

This is not an tourist location that is open all the time. It was open last year for approx 18 days, and the tickets sold out very fast. They were also only online, it was a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity.

I expect that they will try to open it again as there is demand for it. I think the tour was approx 90 min, and the tickets were $20 each.

Hopefully someone from Kingston will be able to let you know if it is going to open again, otherwise I would contact the Kingston Tourism and ask them the question.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 46
2. Re: Kingston penitentiary

Sorry I meant Canada’s Penitentiary Museum and on the website it says Please Note: The museum will be reopening for tours beginning May 1st. Our summer hours of operation will be as indicated elsewhere on this website.

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 143
3. Re: Kingston penitentiary

Jeff

I would suggest an hour or two at least although it is hard to say as some may find its offering fascinating, other boring.

The Penitentiary Museum is a unique experience in Kingston and I would highly recommend it. It gives an insight into the lives inside Canada's Prisons. Although much of the focus is Kingston Pen due to its history as Canada's Oldest Prison, there are displays from some of the other facilities in the area. Kingston and area is home to 6 different institutions currently, and used to be home to KP of course and Canada's Prison for Women (P4W), which was a truly unique experience and unfortunately they never offered tours of it.

Reply to: Kingston penitentiary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted