We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best thousand island cruise

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Llanelli, United...
reviews: 34
Best thousand island cruise

Hi I'm staying in Kingston for 2nights in mid may, we have a car, which is the best cruise to take to visit the 1000 islands.?

7 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
reviews: 8
1. Re: Best thousand island cruise

The best cruises depart from Gananoque rather than Kingston, as Gananoque is in the heart of the 1000 Islands area.

See this link for boat line reviews, and also take the time to read other info on the Gananoque forum:

tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g182143-Activitie…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 68
2. Re: Best thousand island cruise

Hi aliscarlet;

I have to agree with my esteemed colleague.

FYI...Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY) is know as the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands" and is located 18 miles / 28 km east of Kingston.

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 5
3. Re: Best thousand island cruise

Just to give you some other info

There are tours that leave from Kingston, but do the the distance you will not get to see too much of the 1000 Islands, but they do have on board entertainment and it is still a nice cruise. You also get a good view of Fort Henry.

But to see more of the Islands including Bolt Castle you need to go to Gananoque. And it is a very nice quaint town to walk around on top of it.

Bring your passort for Bold Castle as it is actually in the US. Not sure if they require Visas or not. Otherwise you will just have to stay on the boat. You may want to check either the boat tour websites or the Bolt Castle website for details on this.

Llanelli, United...
reviews: 34
4. Re: Best thousand island cruise

Thanks All

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 68
5. Re: Best thousand island cruise

You're Welcome !

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 143
6. Re: Best thousand island cruise

Over my 35 years in Kingston I have been on all of the tours from Kingston, Gananoque, Rockport and Brockville. I would say without question the best are the Rockport cruises. When I have friends or family visiting and want a 1000 Island Tour, we drive the extra distance to Rockport, no doubt.

They are not as well known as Gananoque and Kingston as both have much bigger advertising budgets and have all sorts of travel partners. However, Rockport is in the center of the islands, is a smaller village so you don't have the congestion and the cruise lines are a little smaller so you will receive a little more personal trip. Their boats are smaller which I prefer, unless you require multi-lingual descriptions which I find on the Gananoque Boat lines often means I am well past an attraction by the time the tape gets around to describing what I missed.

I must admit I also enjoy a stop at Cornwall's Pub in Rockport for lunch when in the area.

Oshawa, Canada
reviews: 7
7. Re: Best thousand island cruise

Hello, I just wanted to bring to your attention the amazing time our family had yesterday celebrating our daughters birthday upon your

Island Star.

Your captain and first officer were absolutely incredible, if not for them our trip would not have been such an amazing time.

Now, we will talk about B I L L Y he was by far the ripple in the water. He was amazing and made the boat ride extraordinary. He was funny as all heck, talented and knew his stuff. Their was no skipping stones in his show. Without Billy, this boat excursion just wouldn't be worth sailing.

Thanks for an entertaining afternoon and memorable celebration.

The St.pierre Family

Reply to: Best thousand island cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted