We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

How does customs work? Do u have to have a passport and do they run it thru a machine or just talk to u? Thanks!

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 6
1. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

Hi

Welcome to TA forum

the Ferry to the US from Wolfe Island is called the Horne's Ferry www.hornesferry.com/travel-information/ which is closed for the season.

their web site says "Don’t forget your Passport!"

SE Ontario
reviews: 10
2. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

Yes you do need your passport. When the ferry lands at Cape Vincent, you will go through US Border Security.

Returning to Canada on the ferry, you go through Canada customs/security when you land at Wolfe Island. You then drive across Wolfe Island to the Kingston ferry.

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 143
3. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

I love the travel across Wolfe Island and have traveled the Horne's Ferry many times. It is now open for the season and a check of their web site will give you their schedule for the summer. I find the Canada Customs on my returns to Canada to be attentive but usually not overly so. In my experience US customs can be very focused, I sometime wonder if they suspect that someone with less than honest intentions would try to use the quieter port. I have received more scrutiny to other travels in my passport, especially travels to the Middle East and Turkey, than any other US entry point.

I view every border I ever cross or enter the same, "if I have nothing to hide, I have nothing to worry about."

Kingston, Canada
4. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

Thank u for getting back! Great detail. I'm wondering specifically if you just speak with guard or they use a machine to run the passport, or how they do things? Just some ports are less stressful than others and just wondering how much so Wolfe island is or more laid back. And you are right, nothing to hide, nothing to worry about....should be so, but not always so, and when u get a guard that THINKS something (whatever that is), u get a hard time, even if they are wrong. That's been my experience, and i guess now i'm intimidated! So looking for the nicest, most reasonable scenarios! So if anybody can help me out here, its appreciated, Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
5. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

They will either slide your passport through a machine or enter your passport number by typing it on a computer keypad. I would not expect any border official for either country to be less than professional. They will have access to all your information. They assess every traveller and if something doesn't "seem right" they will ask further questions until they are satisfied with the answers in order to make a final decision.

Sorry, questions that ask these very specific questions always have more to them than are stated.

Edited: 3:07 am, May 15, 2014
SE Ontario
6. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

This crossing point is very small, being that it is seasonal. On the US side, as I recall, there are only one-maybe 2 booths. I agree with highbrae in that they do tend to be more "attentive" than at the main highway crossing further east at Ivy Lea, likely for all the reasons he mentions.It's rather isolated also. That said, I've never had a problem crossing there. Just remember - it's not their job to be friendly or nice. It's to keep their country safe. be polite, straightforward, and truthful, and you'll have no problems.

If you come back to Canada that way, especially if you've gone for a cross-border shopping trip, make sure you have your hotel receipts, to prove how long you've been away. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, this crossing is not automated.

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 143
7. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

This is a post 9/11 world. When entering the US you are dealing with Homeland Security and the Patriot Act.. They have spend hundreds of millions on their borders and security and I doubt that any port of entry is not equipped with full networked computer systems. As I have said, they certainly scrutinized my previous travels, and when I made the mistake of answering a question directed at my wife, was corrected quickly that he was speaking to her.

My final thoughts would be that, despite all the comments previously, in my experience. US border crossings are reasonable, professional entries to a foreign country. I have had my share of bad experiences and have witnessed some truly frightful ones. However, compared with some of the crossings I have experienced in other parts of the world I would enter the US anytime.

AS phpr says, their priority is to keep their country safe. Be honest, straightforward and direct and you will be fine at any crossing. Be dishonest, vague and evasive and you can be guaranteed problems at any border, anywhere in the world. Worst thing with the US is they will refuse you entry, other parts of the world can be much more unpleasant.

SE Ontario
8. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

The US side at Cape Vincent is automated/networked. The Wolfe Island Canadian side was not ... last time I came through there 2 years ago.

Edited: 10:19 am, May 15, 2014
9. Re: Re the Wolfe Island Ferry to US....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, May 17, 2015