We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 78
Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

Mid May; 3 nights- planning on travelling with my family to Kingston for mini getaway and time to reconnect with family.

4 adults and 2 kids - age 3 and 8.

We were thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. From there we hope to travel to see Fort Henry, Upper Canada Village and boat tour of 1000 Islands...maybe a quick peek at the Jail museum.

Does this seem doable? What recommendations would you make for lunch n dinner? Is it walkable to places to eat? Any other suggestions or changes?

Thanks!!

SE Ontario
reviews: 9
1. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

Upper Canada Village opens for the season on May 18th and it's a good 90 minutes east of Kingston. For 1000 Island boat tours you should also probably check dates - although I'm pretty sure they start running around the second week of May - check for them running out of Gananoque (20 minutes east of Kingston).

You might consider dropping down to Prince Edward County on your way there or back.

Kingston downtown is small and completely walkable.

Edited: 7:28 pm, March 20, 2013
Toronto
2. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

Great feedback thanks!

I guess we have to decide whether that trek to UCV is worth it...we could change our dates a bit to accomodate if it seemed like a good choice.

Do you suggest other places instead of Upper Canada Village?

SE Ontario
3. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

UCV is like Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto - only much larger. I believe there are 1812 celebrations going on this summer - big battle there. It's been many many many years since I've been there, so I can't really say. I don't travel with little people so tough to make suggestions. There is a wonderful Farmers Market in downtown Kingston which should be open in May, although early for fresh edibles. if you should decide to go to the County, a visit to Sandbanks provincial Park would be a must if it's a nice day. The water will be too cold to swim, but the beach and sandbanks are amazing.

Hopefully ktowntraveller and Irishhoneymooner will be along soon - they are more local to Kingston than I am.

Edited: 8:02 pm, March 20, 2013
Toronto
4. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

Well thus far you are proving very helpful!

How far is PEC from Kingston? Would it be a stop en route or a day trip from? Kids would love beach even if there is no swimming yet.

Do you know anything about the Jail Museum?

Thanks for your help!!

S.

SE Ontario
5. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

http://prince-edward-county.com/

http://www.loyalistparkway.org/

http://www.appleroute.com/

That's about all I got ...

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 597
6. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

Sandbanks is no problem as a day trip, it's only like 60 or so kms from k-town...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
7. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

I enjoyed UCV one summer. Except the weather closed in in the afternoon for a thunder and lightning storm that threatened to make my heart seize up. I had never before experienced rain that hard and lightning/thunder that fierce. The sky was eerie and I kept thinking the car was going to be struck by lightning or lines come down on it. I'm used to soft, gentle ocean breezes! :-) Anyway that was apparently a summer thing.

UCV was really interesting. You know your 8 year old best, but the place is geared for kids. There are some animals there as well. There are buildings/stations all over the property where period costumed docents demonstrate processes from the past. There is a canal and a horse? pulling the barge down the canal. The school room was particular well done. They can run around. Up to 2 hours for a visit.

Athens, Ontario
reviews: 74
8. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

Kingston can be nice in the spring, but mid-May could be a problem. May 18th is also when Gan. boat lines starts their regular tours and when Kingston starts their trolly tours. Here's a website with lists of attractions and museums in Kingston:

www.101kidstravel.com/index.cfm…

Not sure when the 1000 Islands Skydeck opens for the year, but their website shows spring hours:

http://www.1000islandsskydeck.com/home.php

Kingston Family Fun World opens when the weather warms up a bit I think:

http://www.funworldpark.com/

Sandbanks Provincial Park is wonderful and Prince Edward County is home to nice walking spots along the southwest and southeast corners of the island as well as Lake on the Mountain Provincial Park and a free short ferry between Picton and Kingston.

If you want to spend some time closer to nature there are some great hiking/walking trails in the area. Visit Explore the Arch for a list or let me know if your interested and I can make some suggestions:

explorethearch.ca/hike-the-arch/hiking-trails

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 107
9. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

You've received lots of great advice!

I would do Prince Edward County on your way to or from Kingston if it were me. That way your not wasting your time driving the route from the the ferry to Kingston twice. Both Picton and Bloomfield are towns in PEC that might be worth exploring as well. If your interested, there is also a military museum in Trenton (which would be on your way if you were coming from Toronto) which has lots of planes etc, that kids seem to really enjoy (adults too - I think it's a great place). Admission there is by donation still I believe. Lake on the Mountain is located almost immediately after you get off the ferry to PEC - just a drive up the hill. Good place for a picnic, or just a quick stop for the view and to see this odd phenonemon.

Sometimes the ferry ride to Wolfe Island can be fun if the weathers good. Sit outside and enjoy the ride, and then if you don't actually want to spend any time on Wolfe Island you can just come right back to Kingston - free boat ride with a great view of Kingston. Just walk on if you like instead of taking your car over.

For the 1000 Islands it is generally suggested here on TA that the tours out of Gananoque are better, so definitely check into those if you want to tour the islands.

The jail museum is small, and is still by donation I believe. Worth the time in my opinion, but be warned I went with a skittish kid once and he found it a bit upsetting. I've seen lots of kids there who really enjoyed it. I would imagine you would likely spend less than an hour there.

Tons of great places to eat that you can walk to. Check them out on here or a site such as yelp.

ktown

SE Ontario
10. Re: Travel plans - what is your feedback please?

If your children like fire engines and that kind of stuff, they might enjoy the Canadian Fire Fighters Museum in Port Hope. However, it doesn't open for the season until the Victoria Day weekend, so might be a bit late for your trip.

http://www.firemuseumcanada.com/