We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

Which Hamilton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

Hey all,

So my family and I are going to Detroit for a couple days and we got a great hotwire rate for the Sheraton at Hamilton. Unfortunately, I did not think to look up the safety ratings of Hamilton beforehand, and now I am getting extremely concerned by the hate crime numbers for Hamilton. It probably doesn't help that we're a minority (South Asian). Now I assume we're fine inside the hotel, but how safe is the area outside? Say if I wanted to get breakfast from the Tim hortons nearby, should I be worried? At what time is it safe to be up and about?

Sincerely,

A worried traveler.

12 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
reviews: 8
1. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

Good lord ... not sure where you're seeing these "hate" crime statistics ... but I can assure you that Hamilton is quite safe... people are not being attacked in the street in Hamilton on a regular basis ... I'd be more concerned about going to Detroit.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 479
2. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

I would not worry about Hamilton, especially during the day....at night, in certain parts of Hamilton, you'd want to keep your wits about you, but those are not touristy areas....

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
3. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

I totally agree with post #1. Detroit is far more dangerous than Hamilton. Basically, any major city in the world has crime and Hamilton is no different, however, you are not risking your life by walking down the street....I assure you that!!

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

Don't worry. There is a substantial south Asian community in southern Ontario.

The existence of a Hate Crimes unit at the Hamilton Police, who produce annual statistical reports, is a sign of how seriously such incidents are taken by the police and the broader community. It is not a sign that the average visitor or resident will ever encounter such things.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
5. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

I found Hamilton friendly, I'm not a minority but yeah there are people of many backgrounds. You should enjoy your stay in Hamilton and don't forget to shop at the local markets. I seem to find more good food made overseas or in Canada while shopping in Ontario then I do here in S.E Michigan. Believe more goods/food are allowed into Canada vs the USA ? Expect for fruit grown outside of the USA or Canada, US customs seems to be OK with most the food I bring back to the USA. No raw meats either but those spoil easily, why bother.

Edited: 4:24 pm, August 16, 2013
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
reviews: 74
6. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

Honestly, have you traveled much? As said earlier, not sure where you're getting your information but Hamilton is probably just as safe, if not safer, than wherever you are coming from.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 27
7. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

My husband and my children are visible minorities. Southern Ontario is much more visible minority friendly and safer overall than Massachusetts, where we lived for 7 years.

Hamilton, Ontario
reviews: 14
8. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

Hamilton has parts that are rough. But do does Detroit, if not more. The Sheraton is right downtown Hamilton and attached to a mall that is spotted with vacant stores, vagrants and rebel teens. For each one of those you may see though, there are ten times as many normal folk walking about.

If anything were to happen to you in Hamilton, I'm sure hate crime wouldn't have anything to do with it

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 68
9. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

Hi Bugattiskype;

Nothing to be worried about....just use your usual "street smarts" and you'll be fine.

Best Regards

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 18
10. Re: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton

I believe many folks just refer to the entire metro Detroit area as Detroit. I know I do, I live in a suburb of Detroit but just list Detroit as my hometown since the border of Detroit is just 20 mins away. If I listed the name of the little city I live in, few folks would know where I live-even which state/country.

So don't get so hung up on the visiting Detroit statement, even the big metro Detroit airport is not inside the city of Detroit but in Romulus, Michigan.

Edited: 9:08 am, August 24, 2013
Reply to: Safety at Sheraton Hamilton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted