We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in/near Hamilton-relaxing plus visting friends and f

Which Hamilton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
reviews: 22
Holiday in/near Hamilton-relaxing plus visting friends and f

Hi,

My family are planning a trip to Hamilton in July to visit family, although at this stage it is still a surprise so we can't ask them!

Essentially, if possible, we were looking for somewhere with a relaxed, holiday feel, maybe by the lake but within reasonable communting distance from Hamilton. I'd be grateful for any suggestions of somewhere to stay near Hamilton.

Thanks in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 24
1. Re: Holiday in/near Hamilton-relaxing plus visting friends and f

Hi GC................the city of Hamilton is 70 klm, and a one hour drive from the city of Toronto...............am I correct in assuming you are travelling from Glasgow to see Ontario AND your relatives in Hamilton, or is the family visit your sole purpose on this trip?.............how long are you here for, how many in your party and what are your ages/interests? .....how will you be getting around----..rental vehicle?

Edited: 7:52 am, February 02, 2013
Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
2. Re: Holiday in/near Hamilton-relaxing plus visting friends and f

Hi GC. I live in the city of Burlington located 10 minutes from downtown Hamilton. Burlington is a city of 150,000 located right on the shores of Lake Ontario. There is a lovely downtown area with many, many shops, boutiques and restaurants. Burlington has one of the nicest waterfronts in the area with a beautiful park right on the water called Spencer Smith Park and a beach area for swimming. I think you'd get a fairly relaxed holiday feel if you stayed here.

They do a yearly asssessment on the best cities to live in Canada and Burlington has been in the top 4 for the last 5 years. This year it was ranked the #2 best city in all of Canada based on education, crime, income, livability, etc....

http://tourismburlington.com/

There is a hotel located right on the water's edge directly beside Spencer Smith Park in the heart of downtown with everything you'd want within walking distance. Here is the link for the hotel....

http://www.thewaterfrontdowntown.com/

Burlington is divided into two sections.....urban and rural. You would be staying in the urban area but if you drove straight up Brant Street (the hotel is located on the corner of Brant and Lakeshore) for about 10 minutes you'd hit Dundas Street and everything north of there is lovely countryside along the world famous Niagara Escarpment which runs 750kms from Queenston in the Niagara Falls area north to Tobermory. The trail along the escarpment is called the "Bruce Trail". It's exceptional for hikiing.

brucetrail.org/pages/…the-niagara-escarpment

Burlington also has 6 conservation areas which are great for hiking, rock climbing, picnicing and relaxing. I believe this would be a great location for you as there is much to see and do where you'd be staying and you'd only be 10 minutes from your friends.

Burlington also has some very nice golf courses in the area for all levels of play...if you do golf. I see you are from Scotland so you very well may...lol.

http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/

I hope this gives you something to think about.

3. Re: Holiday in/near Hamilton-relaxing plus visting friends and f

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, February 18, 2014