We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barrie or Lake Placid

Which Barrie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Barrie or Lake Placid

I will be in Toronto and New York 3rd week of December. I would like to see snow again (don't get to see it much), so am tossing up between Toronto to Barrie or New York to Lake Placid. I tried to research on Google and the Barrie trip seems shorter. I would like to go snowmobiling, dog sledding and to take a sleigh ride. Would Barrie suit?

7 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
reviews: 8
1. Re: Barrie or Lake Placid

Well Barrie is only an hour's drive north of Toronto, and the Blue Mountain ski resort area another half hour or so from there ... compared to Lake Placid, which is in the United States, and a 6 hour drive. Rather than Lake Placid, I'd recommend you look at Mont-Tremblant, just north of Montreal.

The reliability of having real snow, on the ground, in any large quantity(as opposed to made snow on ski hills) can be dicey at that time of year in the greater Toronto/southern Ontario area. Last year we had lots ... in other years almost none. No one can predict the weather nor guarantee there will be enough snow for activities such as the ones you propose.

Lake Placid is a quaint ski resort. Barrie is a city.

How were you planning to get to these places? If you've little to no experience in driving in winter conditions we do not recommend traveling in winter months by car. Winter driving takes great skill, and can be extremely dangerous even for those of us who are used to it. To get to Lake Placid by car would be quite an undertaking.

Edited: 7:32 am, June 21, 2014
SE Ontario
2. Re: Barrie or Lake Placid

oops - ran out of edit time. You could also consider the Muskoka region for some of those activities - another 45 minutes north of Barrie.

Perth, Australia
3. Re: Barrie or Lake Placid

Thank you for the information. I was definitely not planning on driving, but instead, taking a coach. I like the idea of a quaint ski resort rather than a city, so Barrie is out. What would be the differences between Mont-Tremblant and Lake Placid? I'm hoping they are both accessible by coach?

SE Ontario
4. Re: Barrie or Lake Placid

For info on Lake Placid you need to go to that forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g48023-i509-Lake_Pl…

It would be difficult to get to Lake Placid by coach from Toronto.

Info on Mont-Tremblant can be found here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g182183-i854-Mont_T…

Do take some time to read the previous posts, Top Questions, and green info tabs at the top of each page.

Also make sure to tell people how long your trip would be, budgets, etc.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 466
5. Re: Barrie or Lake Placid

Snow will be likely in Barrie and the surrounding area in December...whether it will be enough to snowmobile or not is another story....

Barrie, Canada
6. Re: Barrie or Lake Placid

Hi Barrie is definitely the best place to come for Winter Fun. Barrie has several snow mobiling rentals, dog sledding with Windrift Kennels in the Copland Forest and Rainbow Valley Farms will take you for a horse-drawn sled ride. There is an abundance of snow on Barrie's 3 main ski resorts, Snow Valley Ski Resort, Horseshoe Ski Resort and Mount St. Louise Ski Resort. You can snow shoe and cross country at Hardwood Ski and Bike. Downtown Barrie is all lit up for the Christmas season and there is ice skating at City Hall.

From Toronto, Barrie is less than an hour up hwy 400 or you can take the rapid commuter train, Metrolink GoTrain, if you forgot how to drive in the snow. Go to tourismbarrie.com for more information.

Perth, Australia
7. Re: Barrie or Lake Placid

Thank you!

Reply to: Barrie or Lake Placid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted