We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

Which Barrie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island
reviews: 26
Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

Looking for one night stay mid October before going to Port Severn. We are driving up from

Toronto. We were thinking of staying in Barrie. Looking for accommodations under $100/night. I know Barrie is closer to Port Severn, but now considering Collingwood.

11 replies to this topic
Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
1. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

As you know, Collingwood is a little out of the way but if you don't mind the extra driving I'd stay there. Besides, the drive from Collingwood to Port Severn should be pretty scenic depending on the route you take (I'd take a look at a roadmap and try some backroads for part of the drive) .In my opinion Collingwood is more quaint and it's location is nice.

Toronto
2. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

Port Severn is only about an hour and a half north of Toronto, half an hour or so beyond Barrie. You don't need a place to break up the drive -- if you did, Collingwood would be a silly option because it's actually farther from Toronto than going straight to Port Severn.

So really if you stay somewhere between your Toronto and Port Severn stays, it would be for the sake of experiencing an additional destination, not for convenience. As destinations unto themselves, Collingwood wins out over Barrie. Collingwood and neighbouring Blue Mountains have a tourism industry based around the latter's ski hills (it's not ski season, but there are still things to do that incorporate the escarpment) and has an old downtown and various recreational opportunities in the area. Barrie has a blander feel, a largish city but without that much to offer tourists; to most outdoor enthousiasts from southern Ontario, Barrie is a landmark on the way to destinations, not a destination itself. (Except maybe in ice fishing season.)

And as krustytripper alludes, you could drive from Collingwood to Port Severn along the south shore of Georgian Bay, seeing things like the Craigleith shale shelf and Wasaga Beach along the way.

Burlington, Canada
3. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

I understood the question differently I suppose. I assumed the OP knew where Port Severn was in regards to to the short distance from Toronto. Any search will tell you that it's quite close. I thought the OP wanted to see another destintation and was deciding between Barrie and Collingwood. Common sense would dictate that why would somebody want to stop in either Collingwood or Barrie if Port Severn is totally doable in under two hours....unless of course our OP did NOT research the distance.....but I highly doubt that.

Toronto
4. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

I drew the same conclusion, for the reasons stated in my first paragraph.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 493
5. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

Unless you are going to the bar, Barrie does not have much to offer unless there is a festival going on, which is more of a summer phenomenon.....

Long Island
6. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

Yes, I was looking for another destination, and know the mileage among the choices. Have never been north of Toronto and just wanted to check out other areas. Collingwood does sound more appealing. Thank you all for your input, it is truly appreciated, and very helpful.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 493
7. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

You're welcome....

Niagara
reviews: 18
8. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

You'll notice that Port Severn is the south edge of the Canadian shield country. This is the rocky forested land of lakes (check google maps).

You could consider heading further north to Gravehurst, Bala, or Parry Sound and then back down to Port Severn.

Check the map http://goo.gl/maps/uZ1q0

Long Island
9. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

Thank you, we will consider that. I think Pt Severn was the furthest north we were thinking of before heading south.

Burlington, Canada
10. Re: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?

Collingwood is very pretty and you will like it....trust me. No reason to drive further north and then backtrack. I don't think you'll be disappointed in Collingwood at all.

Reply to: Barrie or Collingwood for one night stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted