We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Which Barrie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barrie Ontario
reviews: 32
Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Anyone heading to Horseshoe..there is a full service grocery store in Craighust ( 5 minutes from the resort) at Horseshoe Valley Resort and Hwy 93. It is not expensive, a regular IGA with a terrific hot deli and a LCBO ( Liquor Store) outlet right in the store. Excellent meat department - great steaks! There is also a nice casual dining restaurant across the street called Abbotts of Craighurst. Loobies Restaurant also on that corner and great for breakfast! Video store. pottery studio and a couple of gift shops also on that corner.

Horseshoe Resort itself has a few dining option...'Silks' is upscale, expensive and excellent.

'Go West Grill' - casual bar style - good burgers and ribs - 'Crazy Horse' casual but more restaurant like than bar..it shares the same kitchen as Go West.

2 excellent golf courses at Horseshoe!!!

I live in the area and eat and shop there often.

UK
reviews: 3
1. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Hi, Barriemeansbusiness. Just the person, We are 4 English people taking a vacation at Carriage Hills 28 May to 11 June. We have lots of info from a friend who lives in Barrie, but maybe you could help about the Elmdale or other very local area to Carriage. We want to eat, DRINK and NOT drive, taxis to Barrie and return seem to be expensive, so what can you tell me about Elmdale (area) please. Does it have a restaurant, friendly bar, smart bar, Chinese or other delivery to Carriege or what? I've even posted a free advert in a Barrie newsheet to check if anyone wanted to earn a few $ ( less than a taxi) to ferry us about in the evening, but no takers yet!!!.

Please be prompt with your reply, only days to go before we fly!

Thanks

CAN
reviews: 25
2. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Hi Fenreed, you are referring to ElmVale...not Elmdale. It will cost you roughly the same as going to Barrie from Carriage Hills. It does have a Chinese food place. It is a very small village. Something like 2500 people. Barrie is a City 180,000 I'm guessing. Enjoy.

UK
3. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Thanks With respect, I'm in my last few days of panic now, trying to find respectable places closer to Carriage Hills than Barrie, but not having a lot of luck yet.

CAN
4. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Fenreed, Carriage hills is a nice vaca property....however it's in the middle of other places....Orillia, Barrie, Elmvale. they are all about 20 mins from Horseshoe Valley. I'd highly suggest you hitting the liquor store and cocktail in your lovely room or drink at the resort if you don't want to pay for cabs or drive. Enjoy.

UK
5. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Thanks withrespect. I didn't think there were any watering holes actually ON Carriage Hills site, I thought you had to go to Carriage Ridge or Horseshoe or wherever and this would mean taking the vehicle on the public roads, which I'm not inclined to do if consuming.

The Go West Grill, Crazy Horse and Silks are not really where I'm staying are they? I didn't think Carriage Hills really had anything at all, apart from a swimming pool. In fact, we are quite worried about Carriage being OK, some of the reports on this site are awful to say the least. It's not bad if it's just the 2 of you, but we have talked friends into coming with us and I'm worried whether the place is going to suit them after all. They normally go to very swish resorts in the Caribbean that have everything, including lots of sunshine!

It concerns me now that Carriage Hills is not going to be very swish, and is certainly not going to be the place for getting your kit off and laying in the sun! Oh well, on my head be it.

CAN
6. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Hi Fenreed, Well it's not she she la la for sure. Are you staying in a condo or private chalet? There are several of these communities in the same area...i.e. Sugar Bush, Cathedral Pines etc.

Sorry I can't quite remember the exact spot Carriage Hills is along Horseshoe.

I'm wondering if you called Horseshoe resort and asked them if they had anyone interested in shuttling your group or if they provide transportation at all. It is the shoulder season for tourists so there maybe someone interested.

I have seen golf carts used but don't recommend that at night obviously.

As for the suntanning .....oh dear.....it SNOWED here last night. It might be warm but the nights will be quite cool. You are coming quite early in our 'summer'. It will feel more like spring unless something drastic happens.

It doesn't matter or shouldn't....the type of room (luxury) or weather right? You are will people you care about in a lovely part of our country. Enjoy.

CAN
7. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Hi again Fenreed, Here is my best advice.....post an add on this link....it's free to place an ad.

This little magazine (newsprint) is WIDELY read in the area.

As I said, it's the off season for tourists so there might be many looking for some extra cash. I'd give it a try. Enjoy.

http://www.supershopper.com/

UK
8. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Hi withrespect, thanks. We arrive on Sunday (28th) and we are definitely at Carriage Hills. It's a timeshare as we are members of RCI, so I suppose it will be a condo. I'll try that idea for an advert, it might just work.

UK
9. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Further to your last post , withrespect, I followed your advice and used the free ad service. I filed it under "Transport" as there didn't seem to be any other appropriate place. It will not be published until 1st June, but it if saves us one return taxi fare between Carriage Hills and Barrie, then it will have been worth the effort. Thanks agan

CAN
10. Re: Horseshoe Valley - shopping,eating...

Fenreed, how are you getting from Pearson Int'll in Toronto to Horseshoe?

As you are coming in on Sunday....maybe hit the bar at Horseshoe resort and ask a server or bartender if anyone is interested in picking up a couple of bucks to chaffeur you around. Enjoy.