We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First week December visit - weather??

Which Barrie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 49
First week December visit - weather??

Hi

I am considering coming to Barrie for a few days in the first week in December. What is the likelihood of there being snow?

We are coming from Australia and taking a side trip to Toronto from NYC, so hope to see snow.

Is the countryside around Barrie very scenic?

12 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
1. Re: First week December visit - weather??

Snow in December in Barrie is virtually a given. Barrie is in what they call a snow belt- you will have great success in seeing snow. If there is noen actually in Barrie, you just need to drive a little north to see it (along Lake Huron)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowbelt

Edited: 8:34 pm, August 21, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
2. Re: First week December visit - weather??

Hi JerrytheLab,

Welcome to the BARRIE TRAVEL FORUM

All the info you need has been posted in your previous topics...

The weather is unpredictable, and that isn't going to change... none of us can tell you what will happen before you get here... or after you arrive.

Driving can be extemely iffy to stressful IF we have bad weather (and as I explained earlier that doesn't just refer to snow)

As someone who loves to Travel myself... I can see where this is quite fascinating for you... perhaps even a bit "romatic"... as you envision picture-postcard scenes. BUT in reality snow doesn't just fall and look pretty at the side of the road... more often than not it is active, and a nuisance.

Most Canadians dread Winter and Winter Driving.

It truly is a ROYAL PAIN... it can take a lot of work to just get one's car going... (starting, shovelling, sweeping, scraping etc) let alone the problems that come with being on the road driving.

I guess your fascination with Winter could equate with my interest in seeing the Australian Outback... thinking how nice it would be to be somewhere much warmer than here in Canada... BUT in reality, once I experienced it... I probably would not be that impressed with your High Heat (and be quickly looking for some inside comforts of AC).

Trust me if the weather is truly awful (a Blizzard that lasts for a day or longer)... and you may not want to go outside at all !!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 7:49 am, August 23, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
reviews: 15
3. Re: First week December visit - weather??

Sure, snow can be a real pain, especially for commuters - but like everything else in life, snow has it's ups and downs. It's likely that Barrie will have some snow in the first week of December but it's not guaranteed. Where Barrie shines is in how we enjoy the snow. Within the city limits one can, downhill ski, cross country ski, go horseshoeing, go snow tubing, go tobaganing, go ice skating, go skidoo-ing, and so on. I wouild not call Barrie itself rich with scenic views, but in and around Simcoe County many beautiful views can be found without having to travel far. If you do venture up to Barrie, I highly recommend a dinner at Shirley's Bayside Grill downtown.

Enjoy your visit!

Almaguin Highlands...
4. Re: First week December visit - weather??

Hi Jerrythelab,

Snow in the first week of December is not a sure thing, but your chances of seeing it will definitely be higher in Barrie than in Toronto. I live 100+ km north of Barrie and while we often have snow then, there have been years when we haven't had it till closer to christmas.

If you really want to see snow, don't let the prospect of winter driving stop you, just use caution and common sense. Read up on winter driving tips--and heed them! Reduce speed, leave more space between vehicles, give yourself more time to stop, and familiarize yourself with your route. Also try to get to where you're going before dark (which in December is around 5:30pm). And if it's freezing rain: stay put. Lots of visitors and new Canadians manage to navigate the winter roads just fine, as long as they don't expect it to be like at home.

One thing to know, though is even if there's snow, there probably won't be enough to "play" in. Not deep enough for snowshoeing, skiing, dogsledding, etc. It'll still be pretty and nice for winter hiking and taking photos.

Good luck and have fun!

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: First week December visit - weather??

Thanks everyone!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 24
6. Re: First week December visit - weather??

Jerrythelab: if you're still checking this forum an update for you.....Thursday November 10th...........lots of snow in Barrie.........it has since melted, but there will be more!

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: First week December visit - weather??

Thanks! Heard about that....

Hopefully some nice snow for us in a few weeks.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 12
8. Re: First week December visit - weather??

We woke up to a dusting this morning.....winter is on it's way!

Brisbane, Australia
9. Re: First week December visit - weather??

Great to hear.

Now I just need to order the perfect weather. ;)

Snow on the ground. Light snowfall while we are there. Just not too much.

I'm easy to please! LOL

Ontario
reviews: 28
10. Re: First week December visit - weather??

no snow yet...lol. We could very well have a green christmas....but Orillia and North seems to be getting quite a bit

Reply to: First week December visit - weather??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted