We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseshoe or Carridge Ridge Resorts?

Which Barrie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Romsey, UK
Horseshoe or Carridge Ridge Resorts?

Hi there

My husband and I are in Ontario for New Year this year. We are staying in Toronto for 5 nights, Niagra Falls for 1 night and for our last night we want to stay in Barrie. We would like to try snow tubing, maybe dog sled riding and my husband would like to ski for 3 or 4 hours too. I am torn as to whether to stay at horseshoe resprt on a meal plan and where activities are all on site or at Carridge Ridge which is much cheaper but we have to go out to find activities. I have heard that Snow Valley is better than Horseshoe for tubing anyway. Can anyone offer me any advice please? Thanks. Oh and also for New Year can anyone offer any suggestions for a restaurant in Toronto for under $100 per couple? After that we will go to City Hall. Thanks so much.

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 48
1. Re: Horseshoe or Carridge Ridge Resorts?

I'm not real familiar with Horseshoe Resort. However are you aware that Carriage Ridge (and its sister resort, Carriage Hills) are condo resorts. They are actually timeshares, however individual units which are unoccupied are rented out. Depending on the size of the unit, you will have kitchen facilities. In Carriage Hills the small lock out unit has the kitchen facilites as part of the room. The larger unit has a full bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen (with dishwasher, microwave, stovetop frig etc. . The small unit and larger unit have shared access to laundry washer and dryer,

Carriage Ridge has a similar set up...is slightly newer than Carriage Hills I believe. Both have recreation buildings with pools (Carriage Hills pool is an indoor/ outdoor pool and has both indoor and outdoor hot tubs.)

Recreation programmes exist for both resorts, Some activities are shared between resorts. We participated in a short snowshoeing experience. (free). I also partipated in a quilting class. There is plenty to do at the resort. The sky Hill is closer to Carriage Ridge resort. However, Carriage Hills is just down the road.

The nearest grocery store and liquor store is close by (if you have a car.)

There are also a number of nice restaurants nearby.

Your plans for skiing, tubing etc should be OK in December as long as it is cold enough to make snow. We were there in mid November last year....and it wasn't cold enough for them to make snow. That was unusual however. I'm not sure about dog sleding.

You may be offered a timeshare presentation....if you don't want to attend feel free to say "No thanks" We went and got some nice incentive gifts....although it took a few hours we were there for a week so it wasn't a problem for us. We also didn't have a problem with refusing the sales pitch.

Here's a number of reviews about CArriage Hills for you to read.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g154980-d626…

HOpe this has helped you.

Barrie, Ontario
reviews: 3
2. Re: Horseshoe or Carridge Ridge Resorts?

I don't know about Toronto Resurants but I would definately pick Carriage Ridge Resort. This is an amazing place and as to finding activities to do most are right on your door step. We were there in November and had a blast ATVing and in the winter we want to go back to do snowmobiling. Both are offered right next door. They are ski in and ski out if that is what you like to do so you would still be able to enjoy Horseshoe for skiing or Mount St louis is not far to.I hope this helps. Have a great trip

3. Re: Horseshoe or Carridge Ridge Resorts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 13, 2009