I am just starting to plan our Honeymoon for September. We will be doing a driving holiday of the East coast of USA and Eastern Canada. I am looking for peoples tips and experiences on just about everything :) So far I am looking at about 4 weeks.
This is the rough plan so far:
- Fly Australia to LAX, preferably from Brisbane but Sydney if flights can be had for cheaper (including a flight from Bris to Syd).
- 2 nights LA for Disney Land and Universal Studios.
- Fly to NYC. 4 nights. See Yankees and Jets game (highest priority of trip (other than spending time with my new wife :P) and will reshuffle order of destinations to ensure this occurs if need be!).
- Pick up hire car. Drive to Boston. 3 nights.
- Drive to Quebec City. 3 nights.
- Drive to Montreal. 3 nights.
- Drive to Ottawa. 3 nights.
- Drive to Algonquin Provincial Park. 2 nights. Partner's number 1 priority is to see a moose in the wild!
- Drive to Toronto. 3 nights.
- Drive to Niagara Falls. 1 night.
- Drive to Washington DC. Drop off hire car. 3 nights.
- Fly back to AUS.
So that is just a rough plan, 27 nights. Those are pretty much the destinations we would like to see but in no way definite. It looks reasonably good driving on google maps with the longest legs being Boston to Quebec at 6hrs and Niagara to Washington at 7hrs. Most legs only around 3hrs though.
So basically what do people think about that? Is it achievable? Too rushed? Should I spend less time at any of the places or more at others? What tips, tricks, recommendations on what to see and do, do people have?
We have a budget of around $15,000AUD for 2 people which seems doable.
- Airfares at around $1500pp to NY and back from DC, $3000.
- Hire car $1000.
- 27 nights accommodation at average of $120pn, $3240.
- Disneyland and Universal Studios Tickets $200pp, $400.
- Fuel. 1732 miles travel. Camry gets 30 mile per gallon. 57 gallons total. $3.4 average per gallon. So $196. p.s how cheap is that!!
- Yankees Tickets $100pp, $200.
- Jets Tickets $100pp, $200.
- Algonquin 3 day/2 night tour, $500pp, $1000.
- Spending money, $150 a day, $4050.
Total price of approximately $13290.
As you can see I have a bit of room spare in the budget there for more expensive hotels, i.e. NYC. Also I have room to add one or 2 more nights on or take some off elsewhere if people have any ideas?
Please give me anything you've got!