We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 1
New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

Hello,

Could anyone tell me what the best way to co ordinate travel from New York to Mabou is? We are coming over from Scotland and have a wedding in both locations within a few days of eachother.

Many thanks

Cape Breton Island...
1. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

You will be tired but it is doable. Take the plane ride from N.Y to Halifax. Then Halifax to Sydney. This will be expensive. You may rent a car and drive from Halifax to Mabou but with time restrictions you may want to fly. Lets see what the "others" think would be your best bet. What time of year would this be? That makes a difference in driving time as well.

Aberdeen, Scotland
2. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

Many thanks for this. Wedding is end of July in Mabou and 10th August in NY. Any guidance appreciated.

Chester Basin...
reviews: 50
3. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

Welcome cslamb5"

I"m just a tad confused. Will you be doing the Nova Scotia wedding first and then travelling down to NYC ?

Chester Basin...
4. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

If you will be in NYC first, both Air Canada and Continental Airlines depart Newark / New Jersey for Halifax on a daily basis. It's a short flight. You could connect on to Sydney from Halifax, or as proudcaper mentioned, rent a car and drive to Cape Breton Island and Mabou.

La Guardia ( LGA) in Queens NY, has flights available also with Delta, American and Air Canada choices. Taxi fare from midtowm Manhattan to EWR ( Newark) is about $50- $60 dollars including tip and tolls where as La Guardia is a bit cheaper if the driver takes the Queensborough Bridge or another span across which they generally do depending on time of day. I have used both airports and am partial to LGA as Newark's security is a real nightmare.

regards,

blondie **

Aberdeen, Scotland
5. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

Many thanks for that very helpful advice. We are travelling to Nova Scotia first then to New York. I just thought it might be easier to have the return flight from the UK to NY (one location rather than a multicity flight) but it might not after all.

A busy wedding season this year!

Halifax, NS
reviews: 10
6. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

I can second Blondie's remark about Newark. A year ago it took me over 3 hours to get through immigration and customs there and as a Canadian I wasn't fingerprinted and 'retinaed' as you would be.

Chester Basin...
7. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

Will this be a "flying trip" cslamb5 or will you have some time to enjoy the area ? This would make a lot of difference in what we could recommend for you.....Mabou and NYC -- quite the contrast. Could be interesting.

Let us know if we can be of more help too you with your planning.

Blondie *

Halifax, Nova Scotia
8. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

Halifax Airport now has a customs and immigration pre-clearance for the US avoiding the problems of clearing in at the NYC area airports.

There are sometimes seat sales on flights to Halifax from the UK.

Also, flying from Halifax to Sydney is possible but consider the time involved in waiting for the connecting flights. And Mabu is not really near Sydney. You might be better off driving to Mabu from Halifax.

If you have never been to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, plan to arrive early for the wedding and spend at least a few days driving around the Cabot Trail. It really is some of the most beautiful of NS.

Where in NYC is the wedding? If in Manhattan, airports are all about the same trouble. If in Brooklyn or Queens, LaGuardia or even JFK might be closer than Newark. (I lived in Brooklyn for 14 years)

Have a great trip.

9. Re: New York to Mabou - from Scotland!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, August 19, 2009